The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Point Pinole, San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
I went to the Petaluma River this morning at your advice. I fished right by the gravel pit for about an hour from 7am-8am, but I don't think the fish had made it up that far by that time. I bounced out because I felt sketchy fishing on private property - which probably worked out to my favor because right when I left some people started to enter the premises (I'd imagine workers).

Then I went down the 116 to 37 to fish right under the bridge but I think I was there too late in the morning, and it was just too muddy and reedy to fly fish from the shore. A guy leaving when I about showed up & left (I was only there about 20 minutes) had two big 15#ers, I'd approximate, but he was most-likely bait fishing. There were about 15 people there all with rods cast out far with bait-bells.

I think the Petaluma could be killer with a boat but I'm not sure if I'm sold on fly fishing there again.

Holy cow... You actually did it.

PM me your address and I'll send you a present. (I'm not kidding, it won't be much, just a thank you).

I know that bait works there, I was just curious about flies. When the striper run up there (remember, they follow the tide) the fishing can get hectic with a two pole stamp, so I know they come in hungry.

I just wonder about flies.

Yes, the water is pretty stained, so maybe dark flies with lots of flash? I'm not really sure.

Still, thanks for doing that for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road

I could imagine when the fish are there, they bite well. If you remember the area there's a large barge moored to the left and across is the wildlife sanctuary with a fishing pier. I saw some small fish surfacing near a creek/inlet but in terms of what was in the main channel .... probably just lingering sturgeon/catfish/crabs and whatever else.

I think my main issue was that I expected them to come in earlier with the tide than what actually happened. I saw a lot of action happening down at the 37 bridge when I got there at 9, I think I just hit your spot up super early. Today's tide system, also, was a bit weird. There was two high tides of about 3-4 feet in a 5 hour period this morning/noon time. I'm not sure how the stripers respond to incoming/advancing tides like that.

I was using a 2/0 white/chartreuse clouser which kicked all kinds of ass at Point Pinole on Friday morning - I think when the fish are there, and hungry, the color of clouser shouldn't matter so much. But perhaps that's an amateur call.

I have a lot to learn about fishing in the bay, especially from the shoreline. I've definitely first-hand seen how you could do some serious damage with a boat, however. Do the stripers still bite in the bay around November? My dad brings his 17' Alumiweld down from Tahoe at the end of October and basically doesn't use it from Nov - April.

Mudbug, in retrospect I'd really like to give your area and other areas around the Petaluma river another shot with a little more time spent. I'd really like to hold-in-hand two 15#ers like that guy I saw who limited out before the morning even started. Do you recall at your spot, in terms of the tides, when abouts you'd get pestered by the stripers when fishing? Any little details would help!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

It's been almost 13 years now since I was there, so I don't really remember details very well, just that the fish followed the tide in and out.

I brought up dark flies because I think they are more easily seen by fish in stained water than light colored flies.

I do think you may be right about seasons for them. I seem to remember that we would most often do it during the same time we would fish for sturgeon and that would be the rainy season, those sturgeon love the chocolate water that flows into the bay from the rivers.

Oh, and I hope the city of Petaluma is still the same. It looked like it was right out of the 50's. I think it's down town has been used often in movies just for that reason.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 AM

cjhj11 is on a distinguished road

Good to see you had wonderfull experience, any pictures to make us jealous?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Thats awesome!!! I've caught some smaller Stripers in the San Joaqin Delta near Stockton while fishing for Largemouth Bass over the years, but I really dont know what I am doing when it comes to stripers.

Tony
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road

Recently I had to ship back my new Response to Sage because of a defect in the cork, so I don't get my rod for another month and a half (probably). Sad times! But this weekend I'm going (Friday) to Petaluma River at the mouth @ the 13 bridge to bait fish for Stripers. I'll post pictures if I meet success. I don't want to have an out-of-action fly rod prevent me from getting those fish!

I've got a good feeling about it, if I catch a good tide!
mudbug likes this.