The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM

fivefingers is on a distinguished road
Default Point Pinole, San Francisco Bay

Friday I'm going to wake up early in the A.M. and make a day of fishing/hiking the coastline of the Point Pinole state park. I was curious if any of you have fished here and have any 'hot spots' (or their general areas) to check out. Otherwise I just plan to circumnavigate the coastline looking for noticeable landmarks and/or fish and cast some clousers/surf perch flies.

Currently it's forecast to be a beautiful day and I will have chances at two high tides so hopefully I can hook up something. A striper or perch would be ideal.

I'll try to take lots of pictures and showcase the area for those interested. California is really quite a beautiful place.

And of course, if anyone wants to join with for the day or even only a few hours feel more than welcome to. I'm no expert however, and I'm basically just going for the experience.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Point Pinole, San Francisco Bay

I never gave that spot much thought. Stripers move around quite a bit. They could be there.

The local shop there is Fish First out of Albany. Give it a call for more intel.

(510) 526-1937

Dennis
Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM

I went to Point Pinole today. Got out there around 6:15, and to the pier around 7:00. Lots of gulls were around, and in the distance fish were boiling. First pass through the pier, a few fish passed by my clouser but hooked nothing. Next pass I got about 5 fish back-to-back. The rest of the morning was unproductive after the morning bite died down. I'm not entirely sure what I was doing was conventional fly fishing - at all, really. Considering I was on the pier I basically just false-cast my clousers off of the pier, occasionally double-hauled and had to hoist the suckers up ~15 feet to get them onto the platform. But... I was the only person who caught stripers this morning. The rest of the guys were baitfishing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Darn good job, Andrew!!!

It looks like the place where some sort of a boat would be advantageous.

Dennis
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Yeah, if there was anyone with a boat there this morning they could have made a killing following these two schools that were hovering around the point for 2-3 hours. I just had to hope they would pass by the pier.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Isn't point pinole in san pablo bay, not SF Bay?

I fished that bay a lot for Sturgeon. Caught a lot of Stripers as nuisance fish on grass shrimp and mud shrimp.

I didn't fly fish back then so I didn't get to try this but maybe you can and give me a report.

We used fish the petaluma river right their behind the gravel pits outside of the city of petaluma for shakers.

could you give that a shot with a fly rod for me?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Oh, yeah. I am a little embarrassed it is the San Pablo bay. Sorry for the incorrect labeling. Petaluma River, eh? If you PM'd me approx coords on google maps or something it would help me go check Petaluma River out. I just have no idea about the area in terms of fishing, my expertise is the mountain lakes and rivers of California. I think it was a fluke of luck I was out there today when stripers were schooling nearby.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

About Here 38.220397, -122.599722

But I think anywhere you could get access would be OK.

The striper come up the river with the tide and leave with it.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM

I went to the Petaluma River this morning at your advice. I fished right by the gravel pit for about an hour from 7am-8am, but I don't think the fish had made it up that far by that time. I bounced out because I felt sketchy fishing on private property - which probably worked out to my favor because right when I left some people started to enter the premises (I'd imagine workers).

Then I went down the 116 to 37 to fish right under the bridge but I think I was there too late in the morning, and it was just too muddy and reedy to fly fish from the shore. A guy leaving when I about showed up & left (I was only there about 20 minutes) had two big 15#ers, I'd approximate, but he was most-likely bait fishing. There were about 15 people there all with rods cast out far with bait-bells.

I think the Petaluma could be killer with a boat but I'm not sure if I'm sold on fly fishing there again.
mudbug likes this.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Keep up the good work Andrew.

Rick