The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Noiso
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default McCloud - Upper Sac trip

I'll be up in Dunsmuir for the Oct. caddis hatch on the 19-21. I hear it has started and Ah Di Nah opens this weekend.

I just found a cool place to catch some wild trout in Silicon Valley. Quite surprised at how cool actually. It's no secret if you live around here but I am not going to announce the location as per the rules of the forum. Plus I have selfish reasons. heheheh.

Anyway - if you want to cast a few or whatnot on the Mac or Usac lemme know.

Click the image to open in full size.
williamhj likes this.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: McCloud - Upper Sac trip

Good luck with your trip to Dunsmuir, hope the October Caddis are active for you and yes keep those little pockets of fly fishing off the Internet.

Larry

Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure to pack a bunch of these (the fake one that is). Andy Burk's October Caddis Nymph.

If you want to fish some dries, pack some of these, as well. Rick Anderson's Parachute Bird of Prey October Caddis.

If you decide to buy some of these flies, you may want to slim the tail down some. Compared to some of the originals that were tied for sampling, the factory ties are slightly overdressed.

Have fun on your trip.

Dennis

Edit: Here's another fly. You can find the recipe, here.

Noiso likes this.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

They close Ah Di Nah? milt.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post

Not anymore, and it's a freakin circus up here.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Fire closure? milt.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
There was a big fire so yes - I imagine there is a back log of people Mac-jonesing as well as curiosity about the fire on top of the Oct. caddis thang.

Quote:
Not anymore, and it's a freakin' circus up here.
I bet. Bummer. I hope that $h|✝e clears up or at least goes back to the usual Oct. low roar. Nothing worse than too much company in this sport. Well aside from pollution, water diversions, dams, poachers, etc.

Quote:
Make sure to pack a bunch of these (the fake one that is).
Thanks. Those flies look great. Do they sell them at Ted Fay? The Fly Shop? We usually stop at both. I have a few cool dry flies I like to use and a couple new ones I haven't tried. Big orange stims have worked well in the past too. Unfortunately I had to sell my vice before I learned much at all. I'll have another go at tying some day soon I hope.

Quote:
keep those little pockets of fly fishing off the Internet. Larry
Indeed! Will do sir! Otherwise it'll end up like this. . .

"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
Thanks. Those flies look great. Do they sell them at Ted Fay? The Fly Shop? We usually stop at both. I have a few cool dry flies I like to use and a couple new ones I haven't tried. Big orange stims have worked well in the past too. Unfortunately I had to sell my vice before I learned much at all. I'll have another go at tying some day soon I hope.
You are welcome.

I do not know if Ted Fay's Fly Shop has any of these flies. Andy Burk personally supplied several shops with his flies. Rick Anderson's flies are supplied by the Montana Fly Company. The last fly is a prototype fly that I tied for Rick Anderson. It is not commercially available.

Dennis