The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 PM

andy1270 will become famous soon enough
Default Yosemite National Park fly fishing

I'm traveling on business to California in July and plan to stay a few extra days at Yosemite National Park. I've just recently started fly fishing and I'm an amateur photographer, so I plan to visit some picturesque areas of the park. I really have enjoyed getting into fly fishing since fishing with a guide in the Smoky Mountain National Park.

Can anyone give me advice on areas to fish for rainbows or brown trout? I'll be taking my waders, boots, and 5wt 9' TFO rod with a Sage 1650 reel. I'm hoping to study up on flies to take too, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yosemite National Park fly fishing

Ck. out this articje from FFM...

Tuolumne Meadows - Fly Fisherman

PT/TB
rubberguy likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hey Andy,
Welcome to our world.
Here are a couple of other basic resources to get you started.

interactive map: Image maps for Sierra Flyflishing Locations

Just outside the park:

Lower Merced | Fishing Yosemite | Dave's Sierra Fishing

TT
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Yosemite National Park fly fishing

The links provide good information above Andy. In addition to that, try searching the forum using the keyword "Yosemite"

I backpacked Yosemite in early August last year and there is no shortage of fishing in the park although it is not commonly thought of as a Fly fishing destination in the grand scheme of things.

A couple spots in the Valley area would be the Merced at Valley View. The Tuolumne River at Tuolumne Meadows is also a must and these 2 different rivers really give you a great basis to start with. They are also the most popular, but the Tuolumne will be the least crowded as 80% of visitors stay in the Valley. The Dana & Lyell Forks of the Tuolumne are good options too.

Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM

k9mark is on a distinguished road

If I may, I wouldnt rule out a trip across saddlebag lake. There are numerous lakes you could day hike to fish over a couple days. If your lucky, you could catch a Sierra Grand Slam. Google saddleback and youll get numerous hits to check out, plus youll be away from the crowds.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Ck. out this articje from FFM...

Tuolumne Meadows - Fly Fisherman

PT/TB
Very nice article! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Andy,Welcome to The Forum
You are in The Right Place For Info.
Although I don"t know if you'll have to be on The Lookout for Yogi ??
Brian.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
The links provide good information above Andy. In addition to that, try searching the forum using the keyword "Yosemite"

I backpacked Yosemite in early August last year and there is no shortage of fishing in the park although it is not commonly thought of as a Fly fishing destination in the grand scheme of things.

A couple spots in the Valley area would be the Merced at Valley View. The Tuolumne River at Tuolumne Meadows is also a must and these 2 different rivers really give you a great basis to start with. They are also the most popular, but the Tuolumne will be the least crowded as 80% of visitors stay in the Valley. The Dana & Lyell Forks of the Tuolumne are good options too.

Good Luck!
Thank you for your ideas on locations. I will spend some time studying up. It should be a beautiful place to visit.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Hi Andy,Welcome to The Forum
You are in The Right Place For Info.
Although I don"t know if you'll have to be on The Lookout for Yogi ??
Brian.
or maybe Boo Boo? Pretty funny!!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Keep in mind a couple of things: Yosemite is one of those "there's no fast way to get there from here" places - and there will be a ton of people in the Valley in July. Totally worth it, though, for the photography. If it were me, I'd go early and/or late in the day for the photography, before and after the crowds.
Back country is good for small, pretty trout. And I agree with K9mark about a ferry trip across Saddlebag Lake to the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness. Good fishing, good photo ops, and a lot less people.
And I wouldn't worry too much about the bears. Sometimes folks get Yosemite confused with Yellowstone. If you do camp out, you will need a bear cannister for your food. But it's not so much the bears are dangerous (although obviously any bear can be dangerous in a given situation), it's more that they've been "humanized" and are extremely clever about stealiing food.