The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Steelhead success! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/313922-steelhead-success.html)

platte_fisher 03-17-2013 11:47 PM

Steelhead success!

Hello everyone, just thought I'd post an update. I finally got into a couple steelhead up on the Trinity River in northern california. My cheapo phone doesn't take good pictures, but I have proof! lolol

So let me see if I can figure this out here...

http://www.bigwhitefish.com/assets/steelhead_1.jpg

And one more

http://www.bigwhitefish.com/assets/steelhead_2.jpg

I had another one hooked, but I lost him as he ran down the river into the strong current. Oh well...

fredaevans 03-18-2013 02:22 AM

Re: Steelhead success!

Late Summer run or early Winter fish? Being on the rocks like that I hope he/she was intended for dinner.

No offence intended with the above.
fae

platte_fisher 03-18-2013 03:48 PM

Steelhead run themselves into so many rocks in the river that a few seconds being gently set on the shore isn't going to do them any damage.

As they were caught in mid March I figure they would part of the winter run. Take care.

king joe 03-19-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 537936)
Late Summer run or early Winter fish? Being on the rocks like that I hope he/she was intended for dinner.

fae

From the looks of those fish, they been on the rocks for a while....dark boots.

That said, I am still jealous. We are still ice locked here so NO fishing for me...boots or otherwise (though I checked the river this evening...and do see a space between ice flows...hmmmm).

Great Job on the catching Platte!

King Joe, Outa Here!

platte_fisher 03-20-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king joe (Post 538624)
From the looks of those fish, they been on the rocks for a while....dark boots.

Not really sure what "dark boots" means but both of those fish were out of the water for less than 45 seconds. I am a very conscientious angler and am not new to the sport or the needs of fish.

That being said thank you for the good words and it was a great time. Those fish I supported back into the water and after no time shot back out into the river.

I am not sure what the first responder was really trying to say (fredaevans) but we are fly fishers/anglers and we respect and learn about the fish. I have caught enough fish to understand their needs and would never put a fish at risk unless I was going to eat it.

I know fish and have caught more than I could or would ever want to try to count. I am not a novice and while no offense is intended by (fredaevans) it was implied. Fish more, insult less; even if "no offense" was intended....

Thanks again king joe for the good word.

king joe 03-21-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platte_fisher (Post 538717)
Not really sure what "dark boots" means but both of those fish were out of the water for less than 45 seconds. I am a very conscientious angler and am not new to the sport or the needs of fish.

That being said thank you for the good words and it was a great time. Those fish I supported back into the water and after no time shot back out into the river.

I am not sure what the first responder was really trying to say (fredaevans) but we are fly fishers/anglers and we respect and learn about the fish. I have caught enough fish to understand their needs and would never put a fish at risk unless I was going to eat it.

I know fish and have caught more than I could or would ever want to try to count. I am not a novice and while no offense is intended by (fredaevans) it was implied. Fish more, insult less; even if "no offense" was intended....

Thanks again king joe for the good word.

Thanks for NOT taking offense to my words as none were intended. Here in the Great Lakes, the term "Boot" refers to spawned out salmonids...typically the pacific salmon right before they die (dark and beaten) but for fresh spawned steels, they to can be dark and somewhat beaten looking....sort of like the ones you caught. And perhaps, some of what Fredevans was saying when he asked of they were post or pre-spawn fish.

Are the fish in your area typically dark like that usually?

Again, great job...hopefully I'll join you on the success podium.

King Joe, Outa Here!

robert_nguyen 04-09-2013 08:47 PM

My buddies and I , have been wanting to make a Trinity River run. Could any one recommend a good time? Is there any members here that good recommend a guide?

latshki 04-10-2013 12:12 PM

Nice fish, and they do look spawned out for sure to me.

also, I agree with some others here, you can get a picture of a fish without hauling them out onto dry rocks, I've done similar acts in my few years of fishing and have done much worse, but learning is something that one continues to do throughout their life and I continue to learn better ways of handling fish.
So take offense to this or learn, it does not matter to me, but just because a steelhead may "run into rocks" on his own does not give us the go ahead to give them further stress after we jab a hook in their mouth and drag them in with our fancy rods/reels/flies (which I do love to do)
So please, just keep them in the water as much as possible, especially post spawners, they're worn out from all the sex n stuff

Hardyreels 04-10-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 537936)

fae

I tend to concur with Fred and some others. Steelhead are a very valuable commodity and although we want to document success they should not be placed on shore. Removing them from the river is illegal in Alaska.

Even when done with a phone, a picture like this will draw no criticism.
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...h/b1f78d12.jpg

garyo 05-02-2013 02:29 PM

Did you try Silver Hiltons?