The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Fishing season question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/316076-fishing-season-question.html)

pescador7 04-08-2013 10:11 PM

Fishing season question

Hi im at yosemite national park an the fishing season for stream is closed. Now my question, can i still fish just as long as i catch and release(wasnt even thinking of keeping any of these wonderful gems) or is it no fishing at all? I really would like to do some fishing as this is the only time i can because im on spring break. Please help as the scene of the stream is tempting and i dont want to do anything illegal and mess with the law. Responds greatly appreciated.

mcnerney 04-09-2013 05:34 AM

Re: Fishing season question

If the fishing season is closed, you won't be able to fish and C&R.

pescador7 04-09-2013 07:17 AM

Im confused, i just read in the regulation hand book and it states
1.38. CLOSED SEASON.
That period during which the taking of fish, amphibians, reptiles, mollusks or crustaceans is prohibited.
It states that animals may not be taken and i wont be taking any, just doing C&R the way i see it is that i might be able to fish or unless the word TAKE also means catch. Very brief explanation on the season def.

littledavid123 04-09-2013 07:52 AM

Just tell the Ranger where and when you will be fishing, he will gladly stop by and give his opinion. NO MEANS NO

Dave

williamhj 04-09-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pescador7 (Post 545257)
1.38. CLOSED SEASON.
That period during which the taking of fish, amphibians, reptiles, mollusks or crustaceans is prohibited.
It states that animals may not be taken and i wont be taking any, just doing C&R the way i see it is that i might be able to fish or unless the word TAKE also means catch. Very brief explanation on the season def.

I don't think they make the distinction. In addition to open and closed some streams will have C&R periods only, though those are often on put and take fisheries.

mcnerney 04-09-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pescador7 (Post 545257)
1.38. CLOSED SEASON.

If you still think you can fish and C&R on a closed stream, I'd highly recommend that you give your local Game and Fish department (or in your case ,Yosemite National Park) a call and get a reading from them first hand.

MoscaPescador 04-09-2013 11:41 AM

Sierra District regulations allow people to fish lakes unless those lakes are specified closed to fishing in the Special Regulations section.

robert_nguyen 04-09-2013 08:43 PM

I would call the local park ranger or a DFW warden. They would be answer the question for you