The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing season question

Hi im at yosemite national park an the fishing season for stream is closed. Now my question, can i still fish just as long as i catch and release(wasnt even thinking of keeping any of these wonderful gems) or is it no fishing at all? I really would like to do some fishing as this is the only time i can because im on spring break. Please help as the scene of the stream is tempting and i dont want to do anything illegal and mess with the law. Responds greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing season question

If the fishing season is closed, you won't be able to fish and C&R.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough

Im confused, i just read in the regulation hand book and it states
1.38. CLOSED SEASON.
That period during which the taking of fish, amphibians, reptiles, mollusks or crustaceans is prohibited.
It states that animals may not be taken and i wont be taking any, just doing C&R the way i see it is that i might be able to fish or unless the word TAKE also means catch. Very brief explanation on the season def.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell the Ranger where and when you will be fishing, he will gladly stop by and give his opinion. NO MEANS NO

Dave
Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescador7 View Post
1.38. CLOSED SEASON.
That period during which the taking of fish, amphibians, reptiles, mollusks or crustaceans is prohibited.
It states that animals may not be taken and i wont be taking any, just doing C&R the way i see it is that i might be able to fish or unless the word TAKE also means catch. Very brief explanation on the season def.
I don't think they make the distinction. In addition to open and closed some streams will have C&R periods only, though those are often on put and take fisheries.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescador7 View Post
1.38. CLOSED SEASON.
If you still think you can fish and C&R on a closed stream, I'd highly recommend that you give your local Game and Fish department (or in your case ,Yosemite National Park) a call and get a reading from them first hand.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sierra District regulations allow people to fish lakes unless those lakes are specified closed to fishing in the Special Regulations section.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

I would call the local park ranger or a DFW warden. They would be answer the question for you