The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By dakotakid
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By shotgunfly
  • 1 Post By runningfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM

slamtry is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie reel question

I have just started fly fishing for trout, having done it a few times many years ago as a kid. I am taking a local class and will be heading off to the Owens Valley soon for actual on-the-water fun. I bought an inexpensive 8 1/2 foot Cabela's 5-weight travel rod but I have a question about a reel. I happen to already possess a Hardy reel called a JLH Ultralite Golden which I would like to use but it is a 7-weight reel. Is this mismatch of sizes a problem? I read online that rod, line and reel weight should all match, but then again some people have told me that it doesn't matter that much, that the JLH is a light reel anyway, and in short I shouldn't worry about it. I would like to know for definite whether it will be okay. Otherwise I will have to find another reel in the next week or two.

Dan
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newbie reel question

I would put 5-weight line on your Hardy reel and go fishing.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Like Dakota said, put the reel on and go fishing, don't sweat the small stuff. Maybe later on when you have more cash you can put together a well balanced outfit, but for now fish what you have and don't worry about it. Lets face it, on a 5 wt rod a reel is mostly used for storing line so don't get to bothered about what others say.
imxer and shotgunfly like this.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I tended to sweat the small stuff, especially when I was off the water with plenty of time and resources (internet) to pain over matching OZ to OZ reel and rod selection.

Case in point. I bought a new rod and didn't have the reel yet (a 4,5,6, line wt reel). I slapped a 6wt line on a 5,6,7 reel.

Yes it was a little large and heavy but you forget about all of that when you're fishing.

When the reel finally came and I set it up with the 6wt line it felt better with the actual reel I intended for itI was lawn casting at that point.

Again, get out there and have fun.
imxer likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM

slamtry is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Guys. As long as the reel will work on the rod and will be okay for a beginner like myself, I will just go ahead and use it.

Dan
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

If it is a reel that has cartridges, you could just get another cartridge and put a 5-weight line on it. A 7 weight line on a 5 weight rod will probably sink dry flies and will cast pretty powerfully.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Mmm. Bigfishcatcher has a point.
It wouldn't be a good dry fly combination to just put that 7wt reel and line on the 5wt rod.

But given that you're a beginner you may not be throwing dries, probably streamers and for that I don't think you'd be too bad off with that 7wt on a 5wt. You probably won't be casting very far or accurately...i've never put more than 1wt line heavier on a rod so i can't speak from experience

that said, if you can get a 5wt line and put it on the 7wt reel for now and then put that 5wt line on a better balanced 5wt reel that'd be good.

one of my 5wt reel is a 5, 6, 7 so with just another spool i can use it on different rods.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i also say throw a decent wf5 line on the reel and fish!!
allens new compass line looks like a great line for the coin
Compass Series Weight Forward Floating Fly Line - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't care much about the mismatch either, just spool the line and go fishing.
My Orvis Access IV is for 7,8,9 wt. but I put 5wt in it and the fish didn't know a thing about it.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM

garyo is on a distinguished road

spool up and go fishing