The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By winxp_man
  • 1 Post By Glen Wright
  • 1 Post By winxp_man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default 2013 Shad

Any one been out and have success? I got quite a few on the American River our of Sacramento, CA. Its been fun. Now they increased the flows from about and average of 940 for a long time to 1500.......

Here are some pics to enjoy

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Shad

Nice fish! Been a banner year for them on the Delaware! Gotta love the fight!!!
Haven't had a bad trip for them this year but it's unfortunately it is winding down here until next year!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

They do fight good

I have had hens this year that were super jumpers. The shad run in Sacramento, CA started early but because of the super low water the American river has had in it actually messed with the run this year. Last year was a killer year and could not complain at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Wow, nice fish, I was just up in the area last weekend watching my daughter graduate from college... Had fly rod with me, but time was too short to fish...
Must plan a trip up there for salmon season

Sean
Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
Wow, nice fish, I was just up in the area last weekend watching my daughter graduate from college... Had fly rod with me, but time was too short to fish...

Sean

Ya salmon season is a must

Here is a 4-5 lbs hen. She was spawned out though. Nice fight in her.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post

Sean

Forgive me for responding so long after the original post, but when it comes to salmon. The VAST majority of fish by the time the reach the American River are shot they are ready to spawn and die. They are not bright and they are definately not good eating and have no fight.

If you want to catch salmon fish the Trinity, Smith, or any other of the coastal rivers. If you catch fish in those river sytems you will never want to waste time one Salmon in the American River. There is nothing like catching a hard fighting fish fresh out of the salt. Plus you will have less chance of having to deal with all the idiots on the American during salmon fishing.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, but growing up my father was a hobbiest commercial salmon fishing and we also fished most of the california Coastal Rivers. I'd have to be starving to fish for salmon in the American.
mcnerney likes this.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Forgive me for responding so long after the original post, but when it comes to salmon. The VAST majority of fish by the time the reach the American River are shot they are ready to spawn and die. They are not bright and they are definately not good eating and have no fight.

If you want to catch salmon fish the Trinity, Smith, or any other of the coastal rivers. If you catch fish in those river sytems you will never want to waste time one Salmon in the American River. There is nothing like catching a hard fighting fish fresh out of the salt. Plus you will have less chance of having to deal with all the idiots on the American during salmon fishing.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, but growing up my father was a hobbiest commercial salmon fishing and we also fished most of the california Coastal Rivers. I'd have to be starving to fish for salmon in the American.
I will have to say that I disagree with this. I can even post pictures of fish I caught in late october that at still bright fish. I have been fishing the American and Feather rivers since I was a very young kid. I started at the age of 13 and now I'm 28. Plenty of years to say I have caught fish. But to say they do not have fight in them or not worth eating I will have to disagree.

The secret is simple go early in the season. Last year I caught my first bright fish July 16. It was #14 buck. I will tell you this you better have a good reel with a good drag because they will fight.

Here is a fish of July and the next is of late October.

Note the scales on the fish..... And they taste great!

Again not trying to start things on this forum but these pics prove that there are plenty of good fish. You just need a good guide or friend that knows the area and put you into nice fish. Not saying that the fish here are like fish from the Trin or the Klam right from the ocean but they are not bad fish like most make them out to be, and plenty to look for in salmon fishing the Amercian or the Feather

Here is a late July or August fish.(cant remember the time)

mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
Again not trying to start things on this forum but these pics prove that there are plenty of good fish. You just need a good guide or friend that knows the area and put you into nice fish. Not saying that the fish here are like fish from the Trin or the Klam right from the ocean but they are not bad fish like most make them out to be, and plenty to look for in salmon fishing the Amercian or the Feather

Here is a late July or August fish.(cant remember the time)

I don't believe you are trying to start anything, you are just defending a Salmon fishery that you are passionate about. No one can fault a man for that.

The real reason I'm against it is I personally beleive it is better for the fishery to leave them alone once they reach the American, feather, etc. to spawn. CA. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife already had to close the salmon season for a couple years. To avoid that in the future wouldn't it make sense to just leave the fish alone once they enter these water ways so that doesn't happen again. Dams have already done enough damage to the salmon fishery.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
Any one been out and have success? I got quite a few on the American River our of Sacramento, CA. Its been fun. Now they increased the flows from about and average of 940 for a long time to 1500.......

Here are some pics to enjoy

Thanks for the report and photos sorry to say I missed the shad run this year. Next year I hope to get up there with you.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650flyguy View Post
Thanks for the report and photos sorry to say I missed the shad run this year. Next year I hope to get up there with you.

I really hope they dont stop river flow again! If they do we will get another crappy year. Not saying we had a bad one but not one you can say WOW about. Folsom Lake had the hydro races going on and the river was down at 900 cfs for a long time. Then they let water out but way to late.