The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Poaching news, Ca style (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/324734-poaching-news-ca-style.html)

mikel 07-10-2013 12:33 PM

Poaching news, Ca style

CDFW Officers Catch Poachers at Riverside County Lake | CDFW News

jpbfly 07-10-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Poaching news, Ca style

Hang'em high:mad::ranting3::D

von behr 07-10-2013 03:33 PM

Great catch...so to speak. I hope they get hammered for that.

-VB

fredaevans 07-10-2013 09:05 PM

They probably have already replaced the gear and are back at it ......:ranting3:

mcnerney 07-10-2013 09:27 PM

Fred is probably right, but at least they got caught, maybe it will slow them down.

theboz 07-20-2013 05:50 PM

Freshwater gillnetters! Unbelievable! Freds right probably go right back to it! Gillnets can be set inconspicuously and retrieved at their leisure . Probably supplying restaurants. The only way you stop
People like that is crack down on the back door buying that fuels their cash flow. I've seen it with SW fish and you elwould be amazed at how much money can be made selling back door to restaurants and fish mongers.
So many of these places still have illegal fish on their menus and when caught just change the name if the fish they are hawking ! It's tough all around to stop these practices.
A sad thing is all you have to do is go to utube and watch some of the videos . There are people on there keeping far more than their limit , catching and keeping protected species and using illegal methods to catch gamefish such as spearing , trot lines all sorts of nets , bow fishing and more.
Just saw some footage the other day of Largemouths being caught and killed on trotlines and being speared as well. Protected species in salt and fresh being harpooned out of kayaks and the list goes on.
There is no easy answer to this but enforcement methods need to be stepped up! And the amount of waste is beyond comprehension!
Makes the legitimate commercial fisherman get a bad rap!

mikel 07-20-2013 05:59 PM

Well, I just hope everyone who posts understands these people are out there and what they are capable of doing to a fishery.

milt spawn 08-30-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpbfly (Post 571410)
Hang'em high:mad::ranting3::D

Here is an update... milt Poachers Sentenced to Hard Labor Program in Southern California | CDFW News

mikel 08-30-2013 11:20 PM

Thanks Milt! I've been away and missed that completely...

jpbfly 08-31-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milt spawn (Post 587085)
Here is an update... milt Poachers Sentenced to Hard Labor Program in Southern California | CDFW News

Thanks milt....I'm delighted:D