The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 AM

fishingdvm is on a distinguished road
Default East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA

Planning a trip in Oct to Bridgeport, CA. I have never been there so it's on my list to explore.

I have read about the Upper and Lower sections but just had a few questions to those that would be inclined to lend some advice.

1) The Upper portion: between Hwy 395 and the reservoir I have read much of the water is on private property. Is that section fishable? Do you have to contact someone for permission?

2) After the miracle mile; murphy pond. Looking for a little advice on fishing that hole. I had read that it is large, deep and slow. Would a float tube be useful in that pond or overkill.

Thanks in advance for your help. I try to research new areas but I've found that nothing is better than asking the experienced angler.

Doc
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA

Hey Doc...I don't have answers to all your questions, but...

Welcome to Ken's Sporting Goods | Ken's Sporting Goods

These guys are the ones to call...

check your personal messages

-Mike
Old 07-25-2013, 11:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto to what Mike said.

I will add that you may want to consider fishing the Nevada side of the EW, as well.

I have heard that the river is flowing low and slow. If the water hits 70*F, you may want to go find a shady spot and drink a beer. Fishing will be no bueno especially for the fish.

Dennis
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM

fishingdvm is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

It's been a hot summer, that's why I'm making myself wait until Oct. Average highs are in the mid 60's and low's in the 20's then and if I'm lucky some early snow.

I'm a 68 degree'er. I'll check in with the local fly shop before my trip.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdvm View Post
It's been a hot summer, that's why I'm making myself wait until Oct. Average highs are in the mid 60's and low's in the 20's then and if I'm lucky some early snow.
If you're THERE for an early snow you'll need to know about Rhinos Bar where the only pool tables are found...Hays Street cafe for breakfast (they allow waders) and the Virginia Creek Settlement (near the road to Bodie on 395) for dinner.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

October is my favorite time of the year to fish the EW. Bring plenty of San Juan Worms and size 18 green Copper Johns. If the situation is right, look out for some great BWO hatches.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have been fishing the East Walker River since 1975. Talk to Jim Reid, the owner of Ken's in Bridgeport. The water conditions this year are awful, since the water content of the limited snow pack was 17% of normal.I have made a personal choice to not fish that river this year. The flows may be found here:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 10293000 E WALKER RV NR BRIDGEPORT, CA

In the last good water year, 2 years ago, it looked like this in the Miracle Mile section...

Click the image to open in full size.

...it will not look anything like that when you are there...

PT/TB
von behr likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-28-2013, 02:06 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I have been fishing the East Walker River since 1975. Talk to Jim Reid, the owner of Ken's in Bridgeport. The water conditions this year are awful, since the water content of the limited snow pack was 17% of normal.I have made a personal choice to not fish that river this year. The flows may be found here:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 10293000 E WALKER RV NR BRIDGEPORT, CA

In the last good water year, 2 years ago, it looked like this in the Miracle Mile section...

Click the image to open in full size.

...it will not look anything like that when you are there...

PT/TB
PT,

I'll be up in the Bridgeport area in September, and plan to focus on stillwater fishing for this same reason. Hopefully, next year will be an entirely different scenario up there.

The EW gets plenty of pressure, especially in the miracle mile. I'll let it rest this time around...solid advice.

Thanks,

-VB
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I will add that you may want to consider fishing the Nevada side of the EW, as well.
Just saw a post on a Ca board about high temps (70+) by noonish on the Nev side too. I was over there recently and did not even take a look. Too much other good stuff to do there...-m
Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 AM

cvd is on a distinguished road

Iím going to be in the area in mid August (after running the Rubicon trail). Iíll have a couple days to spend between Tahoe and Bishop. I'd planned to try the East Walker, but am wondering if there are other good spots less impacted by low water???