The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM

tex will become famous soon enough
Default Heading to Hat Creek

Howdy NorCal. I will be heading up to the upper Hat Creek area for Labor day. I figured it was time to get out of the house and take the wife and dogs camping for the weekend. I have heard great reviews for the river, but have never been there myself.

I am curious if anyone has any tips/fly suggestions for me before I head up there next weekend. I heard that they just planted, so I am expecting small boring rainbows, but I am hoping that there is something more exciting to see. Either way, however, I will be as happy as a kid at Christmas just to get away.

Please, give me your suggestions.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading to Hat Creek

Here is The Fly Shop's report.

I would add that if you are fishing the upper sections, you don't need to get too specific on the bugs although I would flip a few rocks anyways. You could probably get away with a dry with a nymph dropper rig like a Chernobyl Ant or a Stimulator with a Pheasant Tail or a Hare's Ear.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis