The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I need help with a trip to Central Coast area

Thanks guys and thanks VB, I think you guys have great advice! I'll focus on saltwater and I'll see what I can get in the surf. Never tried that before!

Is access to beaches easier than access to streams? I'm guessing fishing from state park beaches is not permitted... Any resource I can check to find which beaches are accessible to public fishing in the area I'll be in?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Nir,

The wonderful thing about fishing the surf is that it is wide open and free. Most reservoirs require you to pay a daily fee to access the lake or pay for parking. The beach is yours, my friend. The fee exceptions will be the state parks and state beaches. They might require a small fee to park in the lot for day use, but they will allow fishing as long as the area is not part of a Marine Protected Area (see below).

California fishing regulations are here: Fishing in California

There are a few areas of the coast that are closed to fishing. They are not marked at the locations (the DFW expects you to know where you cannot fish), but the information is available on the links on this page:
California Marine Protected Areas

Here's a map of the Central Coast Marine Protected Areas that have fishing restrictions:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/ccmpas130130.pdf

Some of the areas do not allow any fishing whatsoever, while others allow fishing only for certain species. For the latter, you'll be fine with flies and catch & release fishing.

-VB
nir likes this.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

Well, I am a bit late in my reply, but thanks to the help here and the great advice received at the California Fly Shop in San Francisco, I was able to fish a little bit during the Honeymoon and I had a LOT of fun learning how to fly fish the surf!! And to my surprise, I even had a little success! I fished a total of 4 hours spread on 4 outings and two spots and I caught a number of three fish totaling three species. Very happy!!

(you don't need to catch fish to enjoy yourself down there, the scenery and the oceam is more than inspiring!)

Click the image to open in full size.

California Halibut small one

Walleye surfperch

Barred surfperch

We also saw quite a few beautiful streams that seemed trouty enough, but they were closed to fishing... Trying to reestablish stealheads if I'm not mistaken.

Wee stealhead trout
von behr and cochise like this.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Nir, I'm so glad you got to fish the surf. It's nothing like other types of fishing, as I'm sure you discovered.

Great report and photos. Sent some rep your way.

-VB
nir likes this.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Nir, I'm so glad you got to fish the surf. It's nothing like other types of fishing, as I'm sure you discovered.

Great report and photos. Sent some rep your way.

-VB
Yep, I'm hooked! The surf was like nothing else I've ever tried! It's a very active type of fishing, always gaging waves and trying to place a good cast behind a wave, I just can't wait to try again and I'm kind of glad that I tried that over trout fishing.