The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default I need help with a trip to Central Coast area

Hello people!

Well, I need some tips...

Me and my wife to be had our honeymoon planned at the end of september for Yosemite, but with the huge fire burning there had to change our plans. Actually the cabin we rented suffered a lot of damage and the ranch is closed till next year. Wanting to enjoy Yosemite to it's full glory, we decided to delay this trip and focus on another part of central California : Big Sur.

The thing is, I was really looking forward to fishing the sierras and Yosemite, I had even booked a guide for the trip... Now, I can see that there are less opportunities to fly fish for trout in Big Sur, at least it's the impression I have.

So here is the help I need, I'd like some information on available water where I might be able to enjoy a nice stream or river with the chance of catching some fish. Just some general guidelines... From there, I can explore and find good spots!

If you prefer to give the info private, PM me please! I would be very gratefull if someone wanted to share some info to a fellow angler from up here in Canada!

Thank you!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I need help with a trip to Central Coast area

Anyone?

I was thinking i could try to catch some surfperch with the 6 wt. Can we fish for these on any beach or are there places you and places you cant... How about fishing for these without waders? Is the water cold this time of year? Ive never fished for SW species...

Also read about little sur river which will be very close to the property i rented. Any trout to catch there? Any spécial régulations?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

You could have opportunities to fish the beaches for perch...I've not done it down there. The water will be approx 58-60 deg, most likely and pretty chilly to wade, although you may well have nice weather to mitigate the water temps. The bigger worry is that the surf is treacherous in this part of the world. If you fish the surf, be wary and don't turn your back on the ocean. If in doubt, google California sneaker waves.

The fresh water possibilities are poor. There's no water in those streams and they aren't exactly "blue ribbon" waters to start with. Sorry...maybe someone has better info for you...

There's one possibility that I'll send you a PM to explain...-Mike

edit: oops...here are regs for Little Sur River

Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead/day
4 hatchery trout or hatchery/possession
steelhead** in possession
nir likes this.

Last edited by mikel; 09-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nir: I grew up in Arroyo Grande, CA just south of where you want to stay, but back then I wasn't into fly fishing. I can tell you that the water is going to be COLD. It warms up in late summer where you can get in and tolerate it, without all the limbs turning blue. You will see the surfers out there with just body suits on, but it is still darn cold. Wish I could provide some fishing options. As a kid we used to spin fish off the big rocks and always seemed to catch a few. Big Sur is a beautiful area and you will enjoy the scenery. If you have time head south n hwy 1 and do a tour of Heatst Castle.

Larry
cochise and nir like this.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Not sure of the FF possibilities bit should be a goodplace tomspend some time with the wifey. If you want an equally good time with the wifey and still want some FF I would look at changing your plans several hours East of there to the Tahoe area. The scenery is spectacular, lots to do as a couple and, from what I hear, the FF is good with lots of rivers and streams. I have only spent my time up there snow skiing bit would imagine the fishing is great too. Just a thought.
nir likes this.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll do a post of the trip if I manage to squeeze some fishing in there!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nir View Post
Thanks for the help everyone! I'll do a post of the trip if I manage to squeeze some fishing in there!
Even if you don't catch anything, it is a beautiful part of CA. As a kid I used to find a big point or rock I could throw a line into the surf, but we were using spinning rigs......still it was lots of fun. Best of luck, have a great time and be careful with the surf.

Larry
nir likes this.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

For that area, I would focus on the salt. There are a few reservoirs inland from Big Sur that hold largemouth bass and such, but the coast will provide a great variety of fish to catch right from the beach.

I would recommend a 6-to-8-wt rod with a full sinking line (I use a 300-grain Scientific Anglers Streamer Express on my 8-wt). Wear your waders and use a stripping basket. The water temperature will be cold, but very tolerable when wearing waders.

Take a variety of Clousers in sizes 2-8 ranging from white to orange to black, and you'll be amazed at the variety of hungry sea life that sits in inches of water at your feet.

Check the tides online. A moving tide is good, but an incoming tide is ideal. Give it a try. You will have lots of fun.

Fishing the surf is an active sport. You'll be moving around and hopping up and down to absorb the waves as they come in. The sinking line is essential for keeping in touch with your fly to feel the strikes. The stripping basket is essential for managing your line in the surf.

I highly recommend you try it.

-VB
mikel, mridenour and nir like this.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I would recommend a 6-to-8-wt rod with a full sinking line (I use a 300-grain Scientific Anglers Streamer Express on my 8-wt). Wear your waders and use a stripping basket. The water temperature will be cold, but very tolerable when wearing waders.
All good advice in VB's post...esp the stripping basket...

You mentioned a 6 wt...I fish an old Teeny 200 (30' 200 gr integrated head) rather than a full sink on my 6, but you get the idea...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
All good advice in VB's post...esp the stripping basket...

You mentioned a 6 wt...I fish an old Teeny 200 (30' 200 gr integrated head) rather than a full sink on my 6, but you get the idea...
Mikel, good call. I use a 200-grain streamer express on my 6-wt. You're right, either a sink tip or full sink line will cover the bases in the surf.