The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau
  • 1 Post By lake flyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough
Default Big Island: Hawaii - Any reason for me to take my fly gear?

Rocky Mountain guy here, I'm posting on the Pac-SW forum for the first time.

I'm heading to the big island of Hawaii soon. I'll be paying a guide to do some deepwater fishing (something I know zero about), but I'm curious if I'm going to regret leaving my fly gear at home?

Anybody have any experience doing their own thing fishing the big island?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Island: Hawaii - Any reason for me to take my fly gear?

Never fished there, or even been there....but I do know they have Bones!
http://bonefishhawaii.com/?gclid=CNK...Fe1DMgodSBcA8w

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine fished for Bones just out of Honolulu right before he joined me for Christmas Island. He caught lots of impressively sized Bones. I'm not sure which guide service that he used.

If you have a 10 to 12 weight, you can try fishing for some bluewater species like Wahoo or Pacific Sailfish. You may have to talk to your guide in setting up some teasers.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:54 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I'd take The Fly Rod if you are going to have some spare time as it quite easy to carry on Domestic Flights.
Even though I've not Fished Hawaii whilst waiting for a Flight to Anchorage I was talking to some Locals heading to Kodiak Island one of which was a Keen Fly Fisherman who had his Finger all Splinted & Bandaged as he had just had Surgery & a Skin Graft to repair his Finger Tip which a Fish had Bitten Off.
Brian
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, I too see that they have some bonefish. I'm more concerned that the research I've done is all around Honolulu or Maui, whereas I'm on the big island. Also, my largest rod is a 6 weight which is probably not big enough worth taking is my guess.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
Thanks guys, I too see that they have some bonefish. I'm more concerned that the research I've done is all around Honolulu or Maui, whereas I'm on the big island. Also, my largest rod is a 6 weight which is probably not big enough worth taking is my guess.
Motivation to buy another rig?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

It's an island surrounded by water, heck yes you should take a fly rod! Last time I was there, I just fished out by the hotel along the rocky bay and caught a number of fish on small streamers. Nothing big but three or four different species of fish that I have no idea what they were called. Some were colored up like aquarium fish and a lot of fun on the flyrod. I didn't know if they had bonefish but then I just wanted to catch anything that I could out of the ocean. My cousin did take me out marlin fishing and catching these 5-7 lb tuna for bait was a blast. Little footballs that we caught on what amounted to heavy freshwater baitcasting gear on rubber skirted jigs. All I could think of was I wished I had brought my flyrod along to catch bait! Those tuna would have been a real fight on flies.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:34 AM

hi tide is on a distinguished road

The flats fishing in Hawaii is found on Oahu, Molokai, and Kauai. If your going to be on the Big Island the reefs are deeper so casting streamers or and bait fish pattern is best, with a fast retrieve. You are most likely to get into some trevally action. If you got any questions on fishing here in Hawaii e-mail me.

Capt. Jesse Cheape
Hawaii Bonefish Guide and Hawaii Peacock Bass Guide