The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: No water in the SoCal trout rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
That's the plan! I heard something about only locals are allowed to fish arrowhead? Is that true? I want to fish Deep, Holcomb and Bear creeks up there but I'm not sure if they have the same fate as the San Gabriel and Santa Ana. I'll let you know when I'm heading up there and maybe we can meet up!
Sorry I forgot about Arrow Head being a private lake, my bad.
There is a stream/creek near Hesperia I think they called it Deep Creek. I've never been there but was told the creek would have wild trouts with C&R and barbless hook regulation.

You can take 15 North en route to Las Vegas, exit Main St then go all the way to the east...then ask for direction. sorry I don't know the rest, but it should close to a small dam and near a hot spring.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

That creek is running very low right now. I havent fished that water since April of last year... I am hoping for some wet weather to come through so I can go back.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Sorry I forgot about Arrow Head being a private lake, my bad.
There is a stream/creek near Hesperia I think they called it Deep Creek. I've never been there but was told the creek would have wild trouts with C&R and barbless hook regulation.

You can take 15 North en route to Las Vegas, exit Main St then go all the way to the east...then ask for direction. sorry I don't know the rest, but it should close to a small dam and near a hot spring.
I know deep creek is one of the couple designated wild trout streams in southern California but its probably running very low right now too. I'd love to get outta san Diego and go do some fishing but It sounds like I'll have to go way up north to get into the good trout waters.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I know you guys are thinking Trout, but maybe Von Behr could be prompted to provide a basic treatise to surf and bay fishing in SoCal.

If I was jones’n to get a pull and my creeks were running dry. I’d look into the local saltwater scene and VB is the guy I'd ask if I was heading to the southland.

TT
Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
Was planning a trip up to either the San Gabriel or the Santa Ana rivers this weekend and fortunately called to get a "report" on the fishing... I spoke to a gentleman at Fishermans Spot up near L.A and he said there is no water in either of the rivers. So glad I called ahead and saved myself 4 hours of driving and lots of gas money... not to mention the pain of a broken heart.
I like the guys at Fisherman's Spot, but I have an alternate viewpoint. Yes, the West Fork was flowing very slow, and yes, the drive up Hwy 39 looked bone dry.
However, I went up the East Fork of the San Gabriel river on the same weekend you wrote your original post, and there was both flowing water and fish, if you were willing to hike in for an hour on the trail to the "Bridge to Nowhere".
Then I went back the week after the big storm, and conditions were even better and the prospector's holes were filled.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
I like the guys at Fisherman's Spot, but I have an alternate viewpoint. Yes, the West Fork was flowing very slow, and yes, the drive up Hwy 39 looked bone dry.
Lots of skinny water, yes. But, if you look at hydrology maps, you can find historically, those water sheds that flow higher, and I think it is because they may not be heavily dependent on snow melt. The San Gabriels are not one of them, unfortunately.

The current area I've been focused on has a lot more water than the usual spots people frequent. I'm beginning to think there are some underground springs that are assisting with the water flow, although the melting of the last bits of snow at higher peaks may also be a contributing factor.

That said, I think a lot of local fly shops direct people away from these areas simply because biologically, the fish may be more susceptible if they are not handled delicately enough. With the dissolved oxygen being taken from the water day by day, as temperatures rise, and flows decrease, it may just be that they would rather not even see anybody attempt to fish the areas.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though I've mainly been around LA San Francisco I haven't been very far south in California.
Also I think it was Glen Cambell Who sang a Song which said "It never Rains in Southern California".

Brian
Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

A friend of mine was out at Piru Creek yesterday and there is water . That place, unfortunately, comes with a host of other problems (think lowlifes, break-ins and trash)...

This is the current report for the Eastern Sierras which might be a bright spot... given the current conditions up there:

Although this first storm system looks weaker now….The hits will keep on coming as moderate systems line up for their move into CA | Mammoth Weather by Howard Sheckter

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 PM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough

Not sure if the Kern is productive this time of year. I'd enjoy a nice weekend in Bishop. The last of the Alper trout are stocked. A crying shame. Arrowhead is private except for super bowl Sunday the lakes a free-for-all. fish along docks with at least 5+ feet. Perris lake isn't the prettiest but it could be happening with a float tube and early morning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Well things have changed a bit since I started this thread. My wife and I will be heading up to the Santa Ana on Saturday and see what it has to offer. I'll give you guys a report when we get back. I went on a little excursion today trying to find the steelhead in San Mateo creek but that proved a waste of time and gas. I ended up fishing Trabuco creek in orange county and was able to make a productive day out of it by catching about 7 little bitty guys. I really wish someone would let me in on their secret spots. I'm following a guy on Instagram who posts pictures of some really nice trout that look a lot like Red Bands. The only thing he has given me is that his spot is in the mountains between Orange county and San Diego. I've spent countless hours combing that area on a CNF map, google earth and bing maps looking for some sort of promising areas that might hold water. Can anyone help me please?