The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM

sheepdog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No water in the SoCal trout rivers

Well, I didn't catch a damn thing on my fishing trip. My wife got frustrated and ended up throwing in a small Kastmaster to catch the only fish for the day: A SMALL wild brown trout. Maybe I just completely suck at fly fishing. haha
Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
I've spent countless hours combing that area on a CNF map, google earth and bing maps looking for some sort of promising areas that might hold water. Can anyone help me please?
I'd recommend digging around the CADFG website and pulling up some documentation regarding the area that you're searching.

I've found a few spots by reading old documents in regards to stocking that occurred in the middle of the century. Even though they may have stopped stocking the area, you never know what self sustaining population of fish have survived. I know of a few areas in San Diego that have wild trout, simply because stockings that occurred decades ago, and the fish became self sustaining.

Google Earth is also a good resource, but I'd really recommend looking at the DFG website as your first spot.

Quote:
Maybe I just completely suck at fly fishing. haha
If it's any consolation, the low water makes these fish harder to catch. They're so skittish that they can feel you coming before you've even reached the stream bed.
yikes likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well, I didn't catch a damn thing on my fishing trip. My wife got frustrated and ended up throwing in a small Kastmaster to catch the only fish for the day: A SMALL wild brown trout. Maybe I just completely suck at fly fishing. haha
Don't beat yourself up to badly, I was up in the mountains today around one of the "rivers" in the San Berdo forest and sadly to say, I have never seen the water this low even for late in the season. This is when the river should have plenty of water coming down but sadly its the lowest I have ever seen it. I am doing a heck of a rain dance and if it doesn't get better we might loose access to the forest again like we did about 5 years ago.

However if you want to get out and wet a line, PM me, I am usually more than willing to show people around. I want to try long way down creek next time.

Sean
Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

here is a pic, normally the water is a lot higher
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:40 PM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

I doubt an experienced fly fisher will come online and post his "secret spots". In SoCal I doubt there are many secret spots left anyone in there right mind is going to have lock jaw. I live in NorCal and I would never post my "secret spots" if my buddies found out I might come up missing. That's how small streams get ruined.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
here is a pic, normally the water is a lot higher
I just returned from a weekend in Death Valley. There are tiny Pupfish there swimming, eating and mating in a hot, salty creek that is less than 1/2" deep.
I still hold out hope for our own local rivers!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM

I guess what I should have said is that the water is lower than I have seen it during the month of September... Remember, this is the high water time for the So Cal mountains.... We really need some rain and snow but sadly thats not happening
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Got this from an article online:

"Anthony Barnston, chief forecaster for the International Research Institute for Climate and Society, notes a 70 percent probability of the United States’ experiencing an El Niño this year."

2014 El Niño Warming Up to Be a Mighty One? - ABC News

So, La Niña dries us out, brings forest fires, and El Niño provides the water to produce mud slides.

Feast or famine cycle...*sigh.*
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
So, La Niña dries us out, brings forest fires, and El Niño provides the water to produce mud slides.

Feast or famine cycle...*sigh.*
Well here is to hoping it all turns around for you guys, it must be heartbreaking.....

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Last edited by grtlksmarlin; 04-07-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Well here is to hoping it all turns around for you guys, it must be heartbreaking.....
Before you feel too sorry for us, keep in mind that while you were enduring the polar vortex, we were enjoying year-round trout fishing on the Owens river, just 4 hours north of the L.A. Area. I went in mid-February, the air temp was in the 60s, nymphing and dry fly were both great.
I went to Fisherman's Spot today, and customers were raving about this past weekend on the Owens. One guy said he caught over 30 in the Wild trout section of the lower O, and had the whole place to himself. He said lots of people didn't even leave town... Just walked down the street for their hotel and started pulling them in.
I think we're experiencing August-like snow melt conditions now. That may mean our actual August will be really dry and dismal, but in the meanwhile, enjoy it while it lasts!