The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   No water in the SoCal trout rivers (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/344186-no-water-socal-trout-rivers.html)

sheepdog 02-07-2014 07:50 PM

No water in the SoCal trout rivers

Was planning a trip up to either the San Gabriel or the Santa Ana rivers this weekend and fortunately called to get a "report" on the fishing... I spoke to a gentleman at Fishermans Spot up near L.A and he said there is no water in either of the rivers. So glad I called ahead and saved myself 4 hours of driving and lots of gas money... not to mention the pain of a broken heart.:(

So if you're wanting to go fishing up there anytime soon, I'd say change your plans and either put in the extra work to go up to the Kern or Owens.

If you need to call in the future to get a fishing report you can refer to the information below:

Fisherman's Spot
(818) 785-7306
14411 Burbank Blvd
Van Nuys, CA 91401

Hardyreels 02-07-2014 08:22 PM

Re: No water in the SoCal trout rivers

Very discouraging report, when the fellow said 'no water' did he mean dry gulch conditions or just drastically low?

Ard

sheepdog 02-07-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 638135)
Very discouraging report, when the fellow said 'no water' did he mean dry gulch conditions or just drastically low?

Ard

The way I understood him was that there is no water at all. There might be some residual pools left but nothing harboring trout. Kinda makes you wonder where all those fish went...

mcnerney 02-07-2014 09:59 PM

Very sad indeed! Hopefully, this storm will help with the drought. I saw a report this morning where northern CA was expected to get 8 inches of rain, at least a start.

Larry

runningfish 02-08-2014 12:36 AM

That is another reason why I am only fishing the lakes in SoCal. The rivers here are just rock beds even after we received a drop of rain 2 days ago. We are facing a drought for sure now.

Go to Big Bear, Arrow Head or Diamond Valley lake, the trouts are still there along side the bass and stripers.

I will be practicing with my switch rod in one of the reservoirs in the mountain, say hello to me.

Hardyreels 02-08-2014 02:14 AM

Knowing this; I feel very badly for those who have loved these streams and now must watch them die. True irony is that my fear for the past ten years is always the same, too much water. Yes we have unpredictable returns on some species year to year but when the rivers and creeks are often way too full of water it makes little difference how many fish there are.

Nothing we can do but take what happens, sad but true.

fredaevans 02-08-2014 03:38 AM

Drive up to southern Oregon. Water and fish we've got. Just don't stand on my "Pet Rock." That will get you a EVIL LOOK.:fishing:

sheepdog 02-08-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningfish (Post 638199)
Go to Big Bear, Arrow Head or Diamond Valley lake, the trouts are still there along side the bass and stripers.

I will be practicing with my switch rod in one of the reservoirs in the mountain, say hello to me.

That's the plan! I heard something about only locals are allowed to fish arrowhead? Is that true? I want to fish Deep, Holcomb and Bear creeks up there but I'm not sure if they have the same fate as the San Gabriel and Santa Ana. I'll let you know when I'm heading up there and maybe we can meet up!

Tree Catcher 02-08-2014 04:50 PM

Sheepdog, sent ya a PM

von behr 02-08-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepdog (Post 638261)
That's the plan! I heard something about only locals are allowed to fish arrowhead? Is that true? I want to fish Deep, Holcomb and Bear creeks up there but I'm not sure if they have the same fate as the San Gabriel and Santa Ana. I'll let you know when I'm heading up there and maybe we can meet up!

Arrowhead is private. Only residents or their guests can use the lake for either boating or fishing.