The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 PM

sheepdog is on a distinguished road
Default No water in the SoCal trout rivers

Was planning a trip up to either the San Gabriel or the Santa Ana rivers this weekend and fortunately called to get a "report" on the fishing... I spoke to a gentleman at Fishermans Spot up near L.A and he said there is no water in either of the rivers. So glad I called ahead and saved myself 4 hours of driving and lots of gas money... not to mention the pain of a broken heart.

So if you're wanting to go fishing up there anytime soon, I'd say change your plans and either put in the extra work to go up to the Kern or Owens.

If you need to call in the future to get a fishing report you can refer to the information below:

Fisherman's Spot
(818) 785-7306
14411 Burbank Blvd
Van Nuys, CA 91401
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: No water in the SoCal trout rivers

Very discouraging report, when the fellow said 'no water' did he mean dry gulch conditions or just drastically low?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Very discouraging report, when the fellow said 'no water' did he mean dry gulch conditions or just drastically low?

Ard
The way I understood him was that there is no water at all. There might be some residual pools left but nothing harboring trout. Kinda makes you wonder where all those fish went...
Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad indeed! Hopefully, this storm will help with the drought. I saw a report this morning where northern CA was expected to get 8 inches of rain, at least a start.

Larry

Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

That is another reason why I am only fishing the lakes in SoCal. The rivers here are just rock beds even after we received a drop of rain 2 days ago. We are facing a drought for sure now.

Go to Big Bear, Arrow Head or Diamond Valley lake, the trouts are still there along side the bass and stripers.

I will be practicing with my switch rod in one of the reservoirs in the mountain, say hello to me.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Knowing this; I feel very badly for those who have loved these streams and now must watch them die. True irony is that my fear for the past ten years is always the same, too much water. Yes we have unpredictable returns on some species year to year but when the rivers and creeks are often way too full of water it makes little difference how many fish there are.

Nothing we can do but take what happens, sad but true.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Drive up to southern Oregon. Water and fish we've got. Just don't stand on my "Pet Rock." That will get you a EVIL LOOK.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Go to Big Bear, Arrow Head or Diamond Valley lake, the trouts are still there along side the bass and stripers.

I will be practicing with my switch rod in one of the reservoirs in the mountain, say hello to me.
That's the plan! I heard something about only locals are allowed to fish arrowhead? Is that true? I want to fish Deep, Holcomb and Bear creeks up there but I'm not sure if they have the same fate as the San Gabriel and Santa Ana. I'll let you know when I'm heading up there and maybe we can meet up!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Sheepdog, sent ya a PM
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
That's the plan! I heard something about only locals are allowed to fish arrowhead? Is that true? I want to fish Deep, Holcomb and Bear creeks up there but I'm not sure if they have the same fate as the San Gabriel and Santa Ana. I'll let you know when I'm heading up there and maybe we can meet up!
Arrowhead is private. Only residents or their guests can use the lake for either boating or fishing.
mcnerney likes this.