The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:12 PM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road
Default Eastern Sierra, 1st week of May

Hi,

I will be traveling through the Eastern Sierra area in the fist few days of May and is interested in a day or two of guided fishing in that area. My main interest is to look for opportunities for dry fly fishing, preferably on walk and wade. It will be great if there are opportunities for Golden Trout as well. Long and difficult hikes and overnight camp outs are ok with me. Can any one advise if there will be sufficient hatches that time of the year for dry flies? Will the Golden trout waters be accessible in early May?

I'm also looking recommendations for the Southern Sierra, Kern River area as well.

Any recommendations for guides and locations will be appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice
Default Re: Eastern Sierra, 1st week of May

Hi,

As far as guide services for the Eastern Sierras, here's a good start:

Sierra Trout Magnet Fly Shop and Guide Service :: Walk and Wade Trips

Guide Service

Guides - Sierra Drifters Guide Service

You can also locate their respective "waters we fish" on their locations where they guide.

For Kern:

Fly fishing pack trip Sierras, lessons, schools.

You can check this site as far as hatches go for the month of May:

Hatches-Eastern Sierra

Now, I *think* the Golden Trout Wilderness does not officially open until July 1st. You *can* technically catch goldens outside the official boundary of the GTW, but you can research that if you're interested.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Everything Sierras is located HERE:

StevenOjai's Homepage

Just keep in mind that we are experiencing an extreme drought...snowpack this year will probably be 25% of normal...plan accordingly...and from my experience, the most productive fishing in the Eastern Sierras is with nymphs,emergers and cripples. On rivers like the East Walker and the Upper and Lower Owens (which get pounded) the larger Trout take patterns fished 6" off the bottom...they are not looking up...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

On the eastern Sierra, the Owens is very productive right now, and hopefully on into May. There is a C & R wild trout section (owned by LA Dept. of Water and Power) that actually has a lot of fish with few anglers at the moment. Planettrout might be right about it getting pounded in the summer months, but it's great now. Nymphing is the most productive, but there is often a hatch around 12-1 pm, so be prepared for some dry fly fun.
Not far from the Owens is a place called Hot Creek. There is some private water if you are willing to pay, and May is a great time of year.
Dark Shadow gave a good recommendation with Sierra Trout Magnet.
The LA Times reports that Sierra snow/precipitation for this year is now 60% of normal, so it's still low, but no longer the worst. May ought to be An OK time to fish. The lower Owens will still have flows because it is needed to supply water to Los Angeles... an understandably sore point with the locals, but it happens to make for good fly fishing.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Dry fly fishing opportunities are abundant on the Owens, Hot Creek near Mammoth and the East Walker near Bridgeport. There is a great area by the entrance to Yosemite for Goldens called the Twenty Lakes Basin. there is a trail that loops around and has a bunch of lakes that have Goldens, Brookies and Rainbows. You can make it in one full day or you can camp out up there and take your time hitting a few lakes. The Kern river basin also has opportunities for Goldens though I've never been that far south so I don't know much about it.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

troutdoorsman, you have just made my day. I am definitely taking a long weekend to the twenty lakes basin this summer!
troutdoorsman likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

It's a really cool area to play in. There is a water taxi service at Saddlebag Lake that will take you across the lake and there are a ton of lakes up there to play around on. Mostly Brookies and Rainbows but a couple of the lakes have Goldens in them. When you're done make it back to the boat dock and there is a phone there to call the taxi to come pick you up. The road to get there is about a mile from the Eastern entrance to Yosemite and there are campgrounds all over and e few hotels in Lee Vining to stay at when not hiking around. not sure about the snow pack down there(only 35% of snow pack a couple of hours north of there) but I'd say late spring might be your best bet for flows on the creeks.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:21 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to look into booking a spot at Hot Creek Ranch, a private section of the spring creek that is, by rule, dry flies only. Check soon though, it could be tough to get in at that time. I second TD's recommendation of the 20 Lakes Basin, great area for hike 'n fish. A water taxi across Saddlebag Lake will lengthen your fishing and shorten your hiking for a small fee, and might be running by then with the low snowpack this year. milt
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

If you are at hwy 120 and 395, stop in the Mobil station for lunch or dinner.... Best food you will ever eat at a gas station!!! LOL what other gas station can you get Bison Meatloaf or Elk at? The creek leading downstream from the lake that has a taxi service will also get you into some brookies and bows.