The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice
Default SoCal Mountains

I played "fly fishing guide" last weekend, and God bless them for all the hard work they do. I don't know how in some instances they don't end up grabbing a sport's rod and throwing it into the creek and calling it a day.

The last time I went out fishing with my friend, we ended up at Urgent Care, as the attending physician worked a size 12 Tiemco out of their finger and the "you're supposed to catch the fish, not yourself" jokes made their rounds throughout the room. They also learned another valuable lesson, and that was not to step on green rocks in the middle of the creek, lest you want to fall on your backside. Needless to say, it was a learning experience for the both of us. I learned that a good fishing partner is extremely hard to find, and they learned why I crimp all my barbs religiously. So, when I heard they wanted to go out again this weekend, you could say I was a bit surprised.

Now, I could've dragged them out to SARL, or Irvine or the other "put and take" waters that we have around these parts, but then that would have equated to torture for me, and I prefer my torture to come between the hours of 9 to 5, m-f, or what I like to call, "work." I've had a particular area dialed in deep in the mountains, so we ended up taking the 90 minute trek from DTLA in hopes that today's session didn't conclude with another trip to an Urgent Care facility.

You have two options to travel up and downstream here.

If you are a fan of hypothermia and falling on your ass, you can follow the stream, but you'll be wet within 10 minutes once a huge granite outcropping impedes your progress, and a stream crossing is necessary.

If you're a fan of rattlesnakes, ticks, poison oak, stinging nettles, and possibly bears, you can try your luck with the game trails that traverse the canyon.

Take your pick.

Because I soil my pantaloons at the very sight of a rattlesnake, I've chosen to make my way up and down the creek by rock hopping, knowing full well that ending up in the drink is a matter of when, and not if. Unfortunately, I'm still under the impression that everybody can rock hop at the pace I do, so frustration sets in when you've traveled 100 feet downstream, only to find your lucky companion is still trying to navigate their rod out of the vehicle. Good luck with the willow trees.

So, while my friend finally made their way downstream, I sat there relaxing with my thoughts and staring into some pocket water. Of course, the biggest fish I've seen in this particular creek, and a few of his buddies, had made this spot their home, and precisely at that moment, I was presented with a moral dilemma.

Part of me thought, "Cmon, you're trying to get your friend on some fish. Why don't you wait the 30 minutes it's going to take for them to actually get to you and this spot, and let them cast first."

The other part began investigating an angle that would allow me to get my dry dropper on them, without spooking them in the process. My first ever 'bow and arrow' cast was executed perfectly, and resulted in my biggest 'bow that I've managed from our tiny little streams:

Click the image to open in full size.

My buddy? She got a few fish to go, but still hasn't understood the value of a stealthy presentation.

But hey, at least they avoided a trip to Urgent Care that day.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: SoCal Mountains

I am impressed on the size of the fish, how was the water levels at the creek, Most that I go to have had very low water levels and I have been itching to get out and get a line wet close to home.

Sean
Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 PM

carnivorousnw will become famous soon enough

Great old fashion genuine fishing reportage. Higher marks for finding fish that size in socal rivers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
I am impressed on the size of the fish, how was the water levels at the creek, Most that I go to have had very low water levels and I have been itching to get out and get a line wet close to home.

Sean
Tree Catcher,

The water levels were actually a bit higher than previous trips, probably because of the residual snow melt. It was running faster than the previous times I've been, and a tad off color. Now, since this is my first 'season' fishing this location, I have no basis of comparison as to what it looks like during wetter years, so the only window of analysis I have is the few weeks I've been wetting my line there.

I'm also under the impression that this stream may get some water from springs as well. Was extremely surprised when I first stumbled upon it.

Also, I hope people understand why I can't really divulge details of the location. We don't have many gems like this so close to 16.37 million people.

Loose lips...
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Umm... Can I hire you as a guide?
fredaevans and carnivorousnw like this.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
Umm... Can I hire you as a guide?
LOL, I'm no guide.

You'd get the Hank Patterson treatment.

You'd ask me what was coming off the water and I'd say a callaebaetis nymph blue wing caddis hybrid midge then throw some rocks into the spot I'd want you to cast into.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 PM

sheepdog is on a distinguished road
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
LOL, I'm no guide.

You'd get the Hank Patterson treatment.

You'd ask me what was coming off the water and I'd say a callaebaetis nymph blue wing caddis hybrid midge then throw some rocks into the spot I'd want you to cast into.
Hahahahaha! That's awesome.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Only put a hook in me once; a really stupid stunt after dark. $600.00 bill in the ER. Insurance is a good thing .....
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Only put a hook in me once; a really stupid stunt after dark. $600.00 bill in the ER. Insurance is a good thing .....
I have 6 and counting.....

:-(

My latest 3 have not been because of my own doing, but rather a careless companion thinking barbs on hooks is what keeps the fish on, and not making sure you have no slack.

Size 8 treble hook. Impaled while we were launching at 6 am, and didn't go to the ER until 7 pm. (Hey, the bite was good...couldn't leave 'em biting.)

I crimp everything. Even ER co-pays aren't cheap.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM

sheepdog is on a distinguished road

There's a really cool trick I've seen to remove a hook with a barb on it. No tools are needed, you just use your hand and the line attached (or a spare piece of line). All you do is apply pressure to the eye while you wrap the line around the bend in the hook. Then, simultaneously, you apply pressure on the eye of the hook pushing it towards the skin and pull on the string. The hook rotates and pops right out. If you do it right, the patient might not even feel it come out.