The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By darkshadow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold
Default Eastside Adventures Before the Gen Opener

Day 1 - HC

Click the image to open in full size.

We pulled into the parking lot at 10 am. The drive from LA had been uneventful, getting out before the Friday morning commute, jamming north on the 395, trading the rising skyscrapers of the city for the snow covered peaks of the eastern Sierras.

It had been 2 years since I had stepped foot into this parking lot, whose only trail head leads down to one of the most fickle bodies of water I've ever had the pleasure of fishing. Perhaps our last few encounters explains why I hadn't been back in 2 years.

And, much like a friend who you haven't seen in a long time, the creek may have changed appearances, but their personality remains the same. The low water makes this body of water even more temperamental, but if you locate the areas and put good drifts on them, you'll have success.

Well, sometimes. Hence, the temperamental part. But, the one constant that has existed during the days I've struggled here was cold and wind. Perhaps that explains the bite shutting off around 2:30 pm when rain and wind came through the area, killing the remnants of a decent caddis hatch. Shut down the bite, but made for some good pictures.

When they were eating, a carefully placed high vis Elk Hair with a WD40 was the ticket.

Day 2 - Gorge

I should not have worn shorts. I figured a balmy day would warrant the wearing of shorts, but the stinging nettles quickly reminded me why I had originally decided to put on my pants. Aside from the burning sensation on my legs, and the bumps and bruises that are synonymous with rock scrambling, the Gorge fished pretty well considering LADWP increasing the flows to 200 cfs, which made presentations a bit more difficult. But, the fish are there for the taking. Grant it, your legs will end up looking like scratching posts that a feral cat has used, but your dry dropper will see plenty of action.

The fish here aren't too particular, perhaps due to the fact that many fly fisherman would rather not break their neck hiking down into the ravine. But for those with a sense of adventure, and a good medical insurance plan, the Gorge continues to be a fun place where footlong fish are eager to meet your acquaintance, and you're only a few steps away from a high ankle sprain.

Oh, don't hike down here during the summer, unless you have a healthy supply of Crofab handy.

Day 3 - LO

I've fished the Lower O about a dozen times and have had the luxury of getting 2 fish into the net. That's a whopping average of 0.166 fish per day!

But, in the past, I've always made the mistake of arriving at the LO at sun up and having a big zero to show for my efforts by noon. This weekend, I made sure the alarm was set for 9 am, and we headed out from base camp at the Motel 6 in Bishop, hoping to find some willing biters.

We reached the lower run below PVR and had hiked down to the water when I immediately got bit on my first cast. I was in the middle letting line out when I realized a 12" brown that must have been sitting on the shore had inhaled my dropper. My buddy hadn't even found a hole to fish and I'm already up one.

Then my Sage broke!

I had mended a few yards of line out and had made a simple roll cast into a seam when I realized my reel had become loose and tightening the nut was not working. Of course, as luck would have it, my strike indicator stopped for a brief second, and I instinctually set the hook. I began retrieving my line only to find that the bottom metal thread portion of handle had become loose. After a few wiggles, the bottom portion came loose, with a fish on the other end. Then, my reel loses it's footing and falls into the water.

"****."

My Lamson was meandering downstream, as I stripped furiously to get the fish in. I don't know what I was more surprised of. The fact that I had gotten a fish to go on my first two casts, or the fact I was landing the fish with my reel drifting towards Bishop. It was the only 9 foot rod I had packed, and trying to throw a double nymph rig with an indicator on an 8 foot rod didn't seem like much fun. I managed to secure the reel as best as I could and continued whacking the fish all day.

Yes, the flows are up, but the LO is quite wadeable. Every spot where you think a fish could be at, was occupied with hungry inhabitants. My forearms and wrist are still sore. That's how great the bite was.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eastside Adventures Before the Gen Opener

Great trip report, photos and fish, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 PM
mridenour

Great report! Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

scenery and trout that are out of this world
Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good report Darkshadow, fishing in areas that you have all to yourself is a treat and probably worth every stinging nettle scratch. Sending you some rep points for the well written article.

Dave
Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Nice report! I'm too lazy to take pics any more.

See any fire damage on the Lower?

Last time down in that gorge I c&rd more snakes than browns.

I wear long pants because of the ticks more than the nettles. They were everywhere over there 2 weeks ago...

Mike
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Nice report! I'm too lazy to take pics any more.

See any fire damage on the Lower?

Last time down in that gorge I c&rd more snakes than browns.

I wear long pants because of the ticks more than the nettles. They were everywhere over there 2 weeks ago...

Mike
Mike,

I know there was a patch of sage brush burning on Saturday but we never really left more than a 400 yard stretch below PVR, mostly because the fish were suicidal. The fire was burning near the Law's museum and we were way above that.

And I'm deathly afraid of snakes and never visit the Gorge past April. I didn't see any ticks on me, but now that you mention, perhaps it may have been a good idea to check for some before leaving the Gorge.

But to get the monkey off my back at the LO is still the highlight of the weekend.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

But to get the monkey off my back at the LO is still the highlight of the weekend.

I know that feeling. When in doubt I zebra midge

Sounds like the fire was a non event...thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:53 PM

rickyortiz will become famous soon enoughrickyortiz will become famous soon enough

Great post! If you ever need someone to wrangle those rattlers I'll be happy to tag along and do it for ya!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyortiz View Post
Great post! If you ever need someone to wrangle those rattlers I'll be happy to tag along and do it for ya!
Had one unlucky adventure with a few rattlers and it scared the bejeezus outta me.

Nothing like almost stepping on one, then wanting to turn and back peddle, not realizing you just also passed over 3 more and didn't even realize it.

I got the eff outta Dodge real quick once it got to be double digit sightings.