The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By yikes
  • 1 Post By darkshadow
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Long lunch and local trout

Today I had a business meeting in the Inland Empire. On my return trip, I realized I was within a few minutes of a wild trout stream, and I still had my rod and sling pack in the car from Sunday afternoon's adventure. So, I got some fast food and drove to my 2-hour "business lunch break".
Click the image to open in full size.
I love these little guys. Despite our drought and low flows, they continue to thrive. This particular place had a plunge pool with a large, flat-topped boulder. I reclined on top (I wasn't dressed to wade), under the shade trees and out of sight of the trout below. I flicked a small PMD near the plunge, and danced it as it floated by the fallen logs and underside of the boulder. I had about 8 hookups and about as many additional takes (but they spit it out too fast for me!), all from the same 150 square feet of water.
They are quick and feisty for their size, and a 3 wt adds to the fun (though a 0 wt would be better!) This place is honing my skills at reading the shadows of the small fish, and at setting the hook quickly without popping the fish out of the water.
This may seem like no big deal to those of you who live next to rivers, but for me, it was a special, relaxing way to break from the stress of the day.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:51 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice
Default Re: Long lunch and local trout

Aww, one of our local cutie pies.

Always good to spend the lunch hour soaking a fly. When I worked in Torrance, there were days that I'd sneak out for a long lunch and catch bonita off the breakwater, and then rush back to work.

Thanks for the report. Hopefully we get some moisture next season. :-\ These streams are in tough shape.
yikes likes this.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Hopefully we get some moisture next season. :-\ These streams are in tough shape.
Agreed, but I'm also new enough to the sport that I don't really have previous seasons to compare it to. So, even if I just catch a couple of tiny fish, I'm really happy to have spent a beautiful afternoon out in nature, whereas my more experienced friends will just pack it in and wistfully remember the good ol' days.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing, that was a gorgeous little guy and like you said, they are loads of fun to fish to on a small rod, but they are lightning fast, good to get your reflexes on their A-game. We have a couple places here like that and I love to take the 3 wt out and fish for them.
yikes likes this.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Nice work! I use a 2wt TFO for little waters like you described and catch the same little fish. A light rod like that makes those little guys feel like a pig! How far is this spot from San Diego?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
Nice work! I use a 2wt TFO for little waters like you described and catch the same little fish. A light rod like that makes those little guys feel like a pig! How far is this spot from San Diego?
I'll send you a PM.
Meanwhile, a couple of questions:
1. What kind and how short of a leader / tippet do you use? I took a friend with me yesterday and the amount of line off the reel was so short that the weight of the fly line was pulling it back onto the reel when he tried to "high stick".
2. I find that there are places where, due to the tight clearances in the stream, I must sometimes lift the trout out of the water to bring it to me to take out the fly. With a lightweight and flexible rod, do you find that the rod tip starts to swing/bounce the fish in the air?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:09 AM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
I'll send you a PM.
Meanwhile, a couple of questions:
1. What kind and how short of a leader / tippet do you use? I took a friend with me yesterday and the amount of line off the reel was so short that the weight of the fly line was pulling it back onto the reel when he tried to "high stick".
2. I find that there are places where, due to the tight clearances in the stream, I must sometimes lift the trout out of the water to bring it to me to take out the fly. With a lightweight and flexible rod, do you find that the rod tip starts to swing/bounce the fish in the air?
Well I've been using 9ft 7x leaders with about a 20" piece of tippet just because that's what I have laying around and don't want them to just go to waste. But I was consistently running into the exact same issue that you described. So to counter this when I was fishing in really tight spots, I just took the leader and did a half hitch over the top eye on the rod to lock it in place. Does that make sense? I think I'll get 7.5ft leaders from now on and hopefully that will help with this issue a little bit so I don't have to turn my expensive fly rod into a makeshift huck fin rod.

As for having to lift the trout out of the water, I have to do that as well sometime just because there is no other way to get them close to me. And the fish does bounce and swing a bit especially when they're flopping around trying to shake the fly loose.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Here's a few more photos from when I returned to this place Saturday morning.

And check out the last "little guy" I found, on the orange rock: