The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice
Default Re: My little SD trout stream!

Those are some mighty fine trout!

You would never suspect there would be fish in bodies of water like that. Now, the water looks like it's not flowing very quickly. I've always been under the impression that trout, especially rainbows, needed cold, oxygenated water to be able to thrive, and it almost seems like those trout have adapted to their environment quite nicely.

I only know of a general location in SD that has creeks that may contain water year around. I wonder if this place is near that.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM

sheepdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Those are some mighty fine trout!

You would never suspect there would be fish in bodies of water like that. Now, the water looks like it's not flowing very quickly. I've always been under the impression that trout, especially rainbows, needed cold, oxygenated water to be able to thrive, and it almost seems like those trout have adapted to their environment quite nicely.

I only know of a general location in SD that has creeks that may contain water year around. I wonder if this place is near that.
It's surprising how cold this water remains even during HOT days. About 90% of the creek never gets direct sunlight since the brush is so overgrown and remains in the shade under the trees and shrubs along the streamside. Also, since there is so much aquatic vegetation actually in the stream, like the lilies, tullies, and other plants, it makes sense to me that these plants are releasing oxygen directly into the water raising the oxygen content even more. Combine those factors with the likelihood that only a handful of fisherman know there are fish, let alone wild trout, in this stream and you've got a pretty good chance of this population sustaining healthy numbers in the stream!

PM me with your theory of the location. I know of 4 streams off the top of my head, in San Diego county which all hold a very healthy population of wild trout. With this stream being one of them.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Here's 2 more fish I caught last Friday from the same stream.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:15 PM

mctrouty is on a distinguished road

Sorrento valley?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
Here's 2 more fish I caught last Friday from the same stream.

Wow, those are gorgeous fish!!!!!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctrouty View Post
Sorrento valley?
No sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Wow, those are gorgeous fish!!!!!
Larry, all of these fish have beautiful markings. I think this drought has ruined the population though. I wouldn't be surprised if they are all dead now.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
I know of 4 streams off the top of my head, in San Diego county which all hold a very healthy population of wild trout. With this stream being one of them.
The weather reports say that Hurricaine Norbert may bring rains to San diego mountains this weekend. Let's hope the streams are refreshed.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
The weather reports say that Hurricaine Norbert may bring rains to San diego mountains this weekend. Let's hope the streams are refreshed.
I'm really hoping you're right! I think the creeks are all dried up now. I'd be very surprised if there's even any fish left. I stopped at this creek a couple weeks ago on my way up into the mountains, just to check it out and there was only one pool that was heavily shaded which had a couple feet of stagnant water in it. I saw a couple trout in there but the water temp was way too warm. I think the only way they are still alive is because of all the aquatic plants in the pool producing oxygen. There was not even a trickle of water coming into the pool or leaving it. If we don't get rain soon, this creek will be completely devoid of fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing looking fish and from the pics it appears their eyes tend to bulge more than usual. Is that true or are the pics deceiving me. Sure hope some of them make it thru the dry spell.

Dave
Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Thanks bud! These fish are gorgeous. Most of the population is 5"-11" but there are some really big fish in here in relation to the size of this stream. The best part is that almost nobody knows there are fish in here, so the fishing pressure is almost nonexistent.
I don't like to always be the rain on a good parade but I would probably have omitted references to where your secret place is located. Between this forum and the Spey Pages forum there are 13,779 posts from me but you may have a hard time finding any that would give people a hint on where to look in order to fish the exact same spot I was in.

I'm just saying, no offense meant but if I found that place you have posted about I would probably never tell a soul and would park a long ways off and be careful no one saw me carrying fishing gear while I walked there.

Just say'en,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;