The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default L.A. River

For those carp-fishing urban warriors among us who always hoped they could restore just a little more of the L.A. River back to its freestone habitat, here's some good news:
Army Corps to recommend $1-billion L.A. River project*-*Los Angeles Times
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L.A. River

Interesting project, it sure would be nice to get rid of that concrete canal and restore some of the river back to its natural state.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this come together. First time I saw 'The Ditch' my first thought was 'Now I understand flood control, but that is Butt Ugly.'
Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Hope this come together. First time I saw 'The Ditch' my first thought was 'Now I understand flood control, but that is Butt Ugly.'
Yes, and the fishing can get pretty unorthodox:
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Good Lord....

I bet all those hypodermics would play hell with my G3's....
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

My mom grew up next to it. Her and my dad used to go horseback riding down there on dates. Not exactly scenic.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 AM

When asked about his successful technique, the man replied: "short, accurate casts using a heavily weighted stone fly that I made my self from all-natural materials. It's deadly!"

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Seriously though, here's a good background explanation video on the LA River, along with some historic film from when it overflowed its banks.
By all accounts, the pre-1930s watersheds of the LA area were a sportsmen's paradise. A few years ago, I toured a 1920s mansion that my grandfather had designed on the edge of the Arroyo Seco. The entire basement was filled with racks and stainless steel tables. My mom recalled that this was where the owner would dress the bear, deer, etc. they had hunted that afternoon near the Rose Bowl!
There are remnants of many hunting and fishing lodges along various parts of the southland watersheds. I know that with our current urban density, unregulated hunting and fishing would deplete all natural resources, but if we could just get everyone on board with habitqat restoration and a catch-and-release ethos, we could have some great recreational areas again.

ejsell likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Lived about 5 minutes from it growing up, and I live 5 minutes from it now.

We used to dangle worms under bobbers for tilapia there when we were kids and fishing Echo Park lake became repetitive. Just your regular urban Huck Finns.

The guys at Fisherman's Spot are always talking about fishing that place for carp.

Now, perhaps I may be missing the point, but there are several urban ponds around that have big carp populations. I don't get why they choose the LA river. In fact, I've caught some huge carp at Balboa (which is literally 2 minutes away from the shop).

Perhaps it's the moving water that is the lure? I dunno.
ejsell likes this.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Do I have to decontaminate my fishing stuffs after fishing it? or bring a hand gun for my protection from the Angelinos?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Do I have to decontaminate my fishing stuffs after fishing it? or bring a hand gun for my protection from the Angelinos?
Don't forget, if you bring your handgun you have to notify the RCMP that you are taking it out of your house otherwise the only line you will be handling is your "soap on a rope." LOL.