The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By darkshadow
  • 1 Post By yikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Local outing recommendation for fly AND spin?

I'm taking a couple of friend's kids fishing this Saturday. Both boys are age 13. Both have spin casting outfits. One has significant fishing experience, the other doesn't.
I'm trying to think of a river or stream location, so that they can fish actively (rather than just watching a motionless bobber in still water). I will take a fly rod and show them fly fishing if they are interested, but I'm not going to make this more complicated than it has to me. The goal is to get them excited about catching fish. They won't care if it's wild trout or stocked trout; that's a lesson for another day.
I'm thinking perhaps the Santa Ana River, fishing for stocked trout. Any other recommendations for the LA County / Inland Empire area?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice
Default Re: Local outing recommendation for fly AND spin?

I think SAR will be your best bet, judging from the stocking calendar.

Get there early....the areas off of Glass Rd have been packed with campers for about a month now.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
I think SAR will be your best bet, judging from the stocking calendar.

Get there early....the areas off of Glass Rd have been packed with campers for about a month now.
Thanks. I've never been there before. I'm trying to rouse some teenagers form their sleep. Is a 10 AM arrival too late?
Also, any particular spot on Glass Rd.? Long ago, I once remember reading "near the campground", but I don't know how many campgrounds there are around there.
Can you park in a campground for just a single day use?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
Thanks. I've never been there before. I'm trying to rouse some teenagers form their sleep. Is a 10 AM arrival too late?
Also, any particular spot on Glass Rd.? Long ago, I once remember reading "near the campground", but I don't know how many campgrounds there are around there.
Can you park in a campground for just a single day use?

They stock from the first bridge to the last bridge, to tell you the truth. You'll know where the campground is, it looks like base camp at Everest during climbing season.

I have no clue about parking...I usually park on the side of the road where there's some shoulder. I don't even know if that is legal, or whether I need an 'adventure pass.' Parking in the campground is reserved for campers I believe.

But yeah, start at the campground and work ur way up or down.

10 am is good. Don't want surly teenagers who didn't get enough sleep around.

Remember that the creek is running low. Adjust your tactics accordingly.

EDIT: BTW, it's not called Glass Rd at that point...it's called Seven Oaks Road. It's called Glass Road off the 38.
yikes likes this.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:13 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I think the trout season is over here in Socal, it is more like boiling trout season. You might have better luck fishing for bass by drop shot and plastic worm.

However, there are places that they might still stock them try Jess Ranch in Apple Valley, Lake Prado in Chino, Puddingston Reservoir in San Dimas, Irvine lake in Irvine, and of course the Santa Ana River. You can also go Silverwood in silverwood rec area by the 15 FWY.

Big Bear is probably still good but gotta be there early.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:44 AM

Well, we went to the SAR near the campground. One boy caught 3, and the other hooked, fought, the had 2 flip off as they came out of the water. All were stocked, all over a foot long, all caught on live worms.

I had a few hits by smaller wild trout on dry flies, and none on nymphs. I tried emergers, terrestrials, midges, even San Juan worms and would drift them right in front of the stocked trout, but they had no clue what to do with them.
So, the good thing was the stocked trout gave the boys some action on night crawlers. The bad thing is, those stocked fish are so used to pellets that they aren't interested anything that visually imitates nature, unless it also comes with a taste and a smell.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
The bad thing is, those stocked fish are so used to pellets that they aren't interested anything that visually imitates nature, unless it also comes with a taste and a smell.
Happened to me last year as well. I tried everything natural and they turned their nose to it.

So, i decided to drift a larger and most obnoxiously colored fly past them and bingo.