The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By james w 3 3
  • 1 Post By plecain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Do I still need a NF Adventure Pass?

As mentioned on another thread, I'm planning to fish the Santa Ana River, which will include Seven Oaks Rd. and maybe the Forest Service Rd. My National Forest Adventure Pass expired a few days ago, but I've also heard that the courts ruled last month that the Forest Service can't charge for access.
Is this true?
Do I need a new Adventure Pass?
Are they still being sold?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Do I still need a NF Adventure Pass?

Hi,

Like any other question regarding rules and regulations especially those which involve enforcement which could result in penalties ........ I would urge you to contact the issuing authority and not take a private citizens word on these things

Ard
fredaevans and kglissmeyer1 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Like any other question regarding rules and regulations especially those which involve enforcement which could result in penalties ........ I would urge you to contact the issuing authority and not take a private citizens word on these things

Ard
Priceless wisdom.
fredaevans and kglissmeyer1 like this.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Ard
Good advice for sure. I had checked the NF website, and it had not been updated for a while. The LA Times op-ed said it was not needed for unimproved areas, e.g. just parking near a trailhead. I talked to a ranger a couple of months ago about its general application, and they could no longer provide a definitive answer. I was hoping someone here might have additional insight.

The ruling states that they can't charge you for forest use; that's akin to charging you for breathing. They can only charge for use of improvements (picnic tables, toilets, interpretive displays). But since there's no practical means of determining which toilet user belongs to which car, they were talking about abandoning the system altogether.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Around me, the signs say you need the pass to park at 'designated lots'.

Just a reminder. Once you become 62 years old, you can get the lifetime pass for $10 for the rest of your life. You have to go to a Forest Service office to get it. Not available by mail or internet.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice

Although it is correct to call the agency that handles jurisdiction for that area, it is kinda difficult when you get 4 different answers every time I've called.

Last year, I never bought a pass, and one time I did get ticketed. But, the ticket was simply a "reminder" that I needed to pay next time.

If you do get a legitimate answer, please let me know, since I haven't been given one in the past 3 years.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:45 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

The Forest Service as a whole is usually very good at keeping their websites as current as possible. This is what I found and it leads me to believe if you are parking at any of the listed campgrounds, trailheads or recreation areas you are required to have a pass.

Region 5 - Home
Old 06-08-2014, 12:21 AM

I bit the bullet and bought the pass. I'll revive this thread in June 2015.