The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Day Trip Truckee or Yuba

Is the Yuba still fishing strong as it has for the past month? If so where would I go. I'm not asking for anyones honey holes, just where should I go the only areas I've fished the Yuba are around Downieville and through my causins property when he lived near it in Live Oak or was it Gridley (It was years ago).

Then I'm also thinking about going up to the Truckee, before the flows are too low?

Can't make up my mind. It will only be for a Day trip on either Sat or Sun from my home in Elk Grove.

Which is fishing better?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Day Trip Truckee or Yuba

I know the Truckee is fishing pretty good through Reno and have heard good reports up by Truckee. I don't know how the Yuba is fishing.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

The Yuba still fishes, but the Truckee River by town is getting too warm.
Stay down in the canyon if you fish it, temps down there are still below low-mid 60's.
PMD's sz18-20, Golden stones sz8, a variety of Caddis, and (maybe) a cray.
Early is good.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

You could always stay a little south and have access to the W. and E. Fork of the Carson River, Little Truckee, Trout Creek, etc... travel a little further south and have access to the W. Walker, which was fishing awesome a couple weeks back.

PS... don't underestimate Markleeville Creek either...
Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks all!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Jim already commented on the Truckee.

The Yuba is fishing well, but there is less dry fly action compared to three weeks ago. Look for some dry fly action in the last hour of daylight. This week's hot flies for the Yuba: Jimmy Legs (black, 6), Fox's Poopah (tan, 14 or 16), Hogan's Yuba Pupa (Olive, 16), Bird's Nest (olive, 14), EC Caddis (tan or olive, 16), X-Caddis (tan or olive, 14).

MP
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 PM

Hey MP you have to have a boat don't you for the Lower Yuba or are you talking up around Downieville.