The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 15 Post By tyler185
  • 1 Post By earthtrek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Yosemite High Country

Last weekend was my trip to Yosemite. I arrived at the trailhead around 2pm after a 7 hour drive. I began hiking the 12-14 miles to the area I found on Google Earth. After running out of water multiple times while ascending to the ridge line. I somehow made it to the creek right at dark. I had no intention on hiking the full distance in 6 hours but when you are on top of a ridge with no water in sight, there isnt much choice but to continue on when you know there is water ahead.

The next morning I woke up, had coffee and some delicious freeze dried eggs, ham and peppers and hit the creek. I immediately saw fish cruising around in the pool sporadically rising to miscellaneous insects. My first three casts all landed fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

I continued to fish my way up stream. My hopes were that I would be able to find some golden trout. I didnt know anything about the creek I was fishing so I had no clue if they were actually here. Turns out they weren't or if they were, the rainbows were beating them to every fly.

About and hour or so into fishing I saw a bear walking across the rocks a couple hundred yards ahead of me. It was far enough away so I didn't bother alerting it of my presence. However, after it crossed the creek it made its way downstream towards me. I started talking to it to make it aware of me. The wind was blowing right towards it so it definitely could smell me but it didnt retreat. Instead, it stood up on a long and began "groaning" (That is the best way I can describe it. I should know what its called but I dont). It then made its way down stream.

For the sake of saving time and space, I ended up encountering this bear 4 or 5 more times that day. Each time I was able to scare it off by yelling or throwing rocks but it seemed to keep doing this loop around the creek. I dont think it was ever intentionally finding me. Just happened to be in its way.

I continued to fish my way upstream, catching fish all the way. Nothing big but wasnt expecting it when I was up above 8,000ft. There were a couple of small lakes that I checked out in hopes of finding fish but unfortunately they were fishless.

The next morning I packed up my stuff and instead of hiking up and out of the canyon, I decided to follow the creek. I looked on the map and saw that the creek flowed into a lake that connected with a trail which would lead me back. I fished the pools at the bottom of the cascades. I was surprised to find fish in this section as there were some steep cascades.

Once I got off the rock formations, the creek leveled off as it flowed into a small section of forest. I was able to sight fish my way to the lake. On one bend, there was a log laying perpendicular to the creek with a decent size fish in front of it. I snuck downstream and on the first cast he slowly rose and sipped the fly. After a nice battle I was able to land him. I was sure this was the fish of the trip.

I made my way down to the shore of the lake and could hear the splashes of fish rising. Unfortunately, it was a bit breezy so sight fishing was difficult. I ended up doing a few different things. I would wait for a fish to rise and then cast in that general direction. I would just cast blind and twitch the dry fly. Or sometimes when the wind settled, I would actually be able to spot fish.

The fishing at the lake was awesome. Great sized fish with a ton of fight. It seemed like so many of the videos I have seen in similar settings. It was really cool to experience it, first hand.

I ended up fishing the lake for a couple of hours before hiking back to the trailhead. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just stayed at the lake instead of hiking further to the creek. It was a great experience though.

The next day, I did the "touristy" thing and checked out the valley and other parts of the park. I definitely needed more time.

I still wanted to catch a golden trout so I had one place in mind. Sure enough, the second fish I caught was a beautiful golden. However, it slipped out of my hand before I could get a picture. You will just have to take my word. I fished for another hour or so trying to catch another one before I had to leave. All I could catch were more stinkin' rainbows though.

It was an awesome trip. I am hoping I can make it back there someday and check out more of the park. I need to get my picture with a golden!

Wow! For being such a quiet guy, I can really type. Hope you guys were able to make it through it!

- Tyler

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yosemite High Country

Tyler: Great trip report, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Tyler - That was a very good trip report and some nice pictures to with it,thanks,
Old 06-30-2014, 11:39 AM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

Quality fish! It seems hiking a bit always seems to the ticket to finding some trophy fish in the backcountry. Nice pics as well.

Good luck on the golden trout venture! One of the most beautiful fish that I've had the pleasure to fool.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 PM

earthtrek is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Tyler. Looks like a great trip, and there is never enough time in Yosemite. It's the one place I can visit over and over and not grow tired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smilingduck likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Interesting report. Thanks for sharing.