The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel
  • 1 Post By darkshadow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold
Default Upper Kern lodging?

I'm looking for lodging recommendations on the Upper Kern. I've stayed in Kernville before. This time I'd like to go with my wife. She doesn't fish, but she does enjoy nature. Is there a lodge on the 20 mile section, or higher? Maybe something with a view of the Needles?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM

mikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant future
Default Re: Upper Kern lodging?

Call the Kern River Fly Shop. They'll help you out with info re accommodations and what to use on the river. Eat a steak at McNallys if it's still there.

(760) 376-2040
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:07 PM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold

Good idea. I've used their guide services before. Last time I stayed in the middle of town at the Kernville Inn, which was just fine for me. I think my wife might want something outside of town, along the river.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:03 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

McNally's Fairview Lodge...East of Kernville on the river and their food is still the best in the area...

McNally's Fairview Lodge - Home

These are the water conditions from 7.5.2014 from the Shop:

Kern River Fly Fishing Forum - An Error Has Occurred!

The above link does work...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 07-14-2014, 11:56 AM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

There are a few B&Bs and 'resorts' of sorts near the Johnsondale area, but as far as anything after that, it would be camping under the stars.

I 2nd McNally's. Great food, and a bit away from the Kernville krowds. Also, closer to the spots I usually try to hit up as well.

The best part of their room? The rustic feel to them. No TV, No Internet Access, No Phones.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
I 2nd McNally's. Great food, and a bit away from the Kernville krowds. Also, closer to the spots I usually try to hit up as well.

The best part of their room? The rustic feel to them. No TV, No Internet Access, No Phones.
darkshadow, we're fine with disconnecting from the outside world; for example, we've stayed in a tiny unconditioned one-room cabin at Evergreen Lodge near Hetch Hetchy. We've also camped a lot.

Unfortunately, the reviews of McNally's motel rooms on TripAdvisor leave some question marks as to its cleanliness, which is an issue for my wife.
McNally's own website linked to another place down the road, the Corral Creek Resort. Their tripadvisor reviews imply clean, roach-free rooms and firm beds.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I like the sequoia lodge just north of Kernville. I like McNally's for lunch. I have never seen anyone stay at Corral Crrek. I was just there 2 weeks ago water was war. Make sure to head as far north as you can like into the 4 mile C&R Section as you far as you can make it. I caught many pike Minnows in areas I had only every caught trout, I caught 20 pike minnow to 4 trout. Make sure to stop by the kern fly shop and get some intel.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 07-16-2014, 04:51 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
Unfortunately, the reviews of McNally's motel rooms on TripAdvisor leave some question marks as to its cleanliness, which is an issue for my wife.
McNally's own website linked to another place down the road, the Corral Creek Resort. Their tripadvisor reviews imply clean, roach-free rooms and firm beds.
I understand. I had a SO who would check every nook and cranny for bed bugs before we were allowed to take a breath inside the room.

I didn't see any issues with cleanliness at McNally's, and for the rate we got, I would've been happy with a rain proof roof over my head, and doors to keep the racoons out of our food. And that's because I checked the prices on other establishments near us.

I can see how the 'rustic' feel can lead their housekeeping crew from making sure every spot was clean, but in the room that we were in, we didn't see many problems with cleanliness. (Altho we were passed out the moment we walked in until the morning when we walked out)

Hope you have a great time up there! Fishing was excellent last time I went, for the stockers in the 20 mile section, to the WT section above the bridge. We made our way up further than that to find excellent fishing as well.
yikes likes this.