The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold
Default SoCal Locals - We Need the Rain

Click the image to open in full size.

The day trips across three counties to fool a slippery adversary into eating a hook covered in chicken feathers are pretty much over. And while waking up at 3:00 am so you can drive all throughout the dark, and then hike for another 2 hours just so you can be making your first cast 300 miles from home at 10 am is fun, so is sleeping in on a Saturday, and still making it to the local stream before 9. Plus, the money spent on gas (not to mention the wear and tear on my vehicle) has been drastically reduced, which is fiscally intelligent, considering the need to save up for my upcoming trip to God's country in 2 months.

A few weeks ago, the last of my 5x tippet material was used up. I had forgotten about it until the night before this trip, and I ended up tossing a spool of 3# FC that I had from my days of a finesse bass fisherman. I figure that this Sunline had got me plenty of big fish from within the shrubbiest of terrains, so I took my first steps into uncharted territory, and fished all day today with a FC tippet.

And I'll never look back.

Because the grade was a lot steeper from the usual areas that I hike into, there were few areas to actually get a good cast in, and lots of ground needed to be covered in order to get fish to go, unless waterfalls and 2 ton boulders is what you consider fun. The residents of this steram are opportunistic feeders, and the lack of consistent insect activity enables you to make mistakes in fly selection, and still gain the fish's interest in what you've tied on. Caddis? We'll eat it. Mayfly pattern? Sure!

But, you get one shot at the fish. You make a bad cast and it's curtains, which means another grueling uphill hike through boulders, patches of stinging nettles, and the possibility of snakes and bears at every corner. But, make a precise cast that doesn't end up in the trees in front or behind you and you'll have browns and rainbows slashing at your dries, or inhaling your trailing nymph in no time.

Cover a lot of territory, and you'll have success. Hunker down and try to dissect the water, and you may go home disappointed. Sometimes it pays to keep walking, especially here.

Considering it was a new stretch of water I was fishing, I left the canyon exhausted hours later, but extremely satisfied in what I saw. This seems to be the only watershed that isn't suffering from the drought conditions, and at this point, this area becomes like an oasis in the desert.

And there are always hungry 12" browns and rainbows willing to take your barbless fly.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM

acorad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SoCal Locals - We Need the Rain

The colors on those 'bows are stunning!

Great TR!

Andy
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Those trout are true beautiesWe do need rain here too
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM

dunk91007 will become famous soon enough

Need to find out where this is - have an idea - but any hints?
navygoat likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM

shellback is on a distinguished road

it's right outside pacoima
Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing, that was an awesome trip report and the photos were outstanding. I can see why you love to fish those waters, the colors on those Browns and Rainbows are just gorgeous and certainly worth all the hiking, congrats!
Every time I look at the USGS water flow site I cringe when I see what the west coast looks like with all those red dots (indicating less than 10% of normal flow).
fredaevans likes this.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk91007 View Post
Need to find out where this is - have an idea - but any hints?
I'll PM you..actual waterways here are tough to come by, especially with the water situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Thanks for sharing, that was an awesome trip report and the photos were outstanding. I can see why you love to fish those waters, the colors on those Browns and Rainbows are just gorgeous and certainly worth all the hiking, congrats!
Every time I look at the USGS water flow site I cringe when I see what the west coast looks like with all those red dots (indicating less than 10% of normal flow).
The concern is the snow pack (or lack thereof) that we got this year, since most of SoCal's water is uhh, appropriated from the Sierra Nevadas. Lots of the water i fished up there was already fishing like late fall, even though it was Spring, during the run off period. Climatologists are predicting an El Niño type event, but I won't hold my breath.

Meanwhile, even though we were in drought situations last year (and in others years past), agencies are finally pushing towards conservation. Conservation,regardless of a drought situation, is the motto they should be pushing, but one year of a good rain fall and we'll be all back watering our driveways, taking care of our golf courses that are in the desert, and taking hour long showers. Doesn't make sense.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Meanwhile, even though we were in drought situations last year (and in others years past), agencies are finally pushing towards conservation. Conservation,regardless of a drought situation, is the motto they should be pushing, but one year of a good rain fall and we'll be all back watering our driveways, taking care of our golf courses that are in the desert, and taking hour long showers. Doesn't make sense.
Wednesday just before 6 am, I was commuting and the news radio announced statewide mandatory conservation measures, including "no more washing down driveways or sidewalks".
- Just as they said this, I drove past a woman on my right, hosing down down her driveway and sidewalk.
- At that same time and location, to my left, the street's center landscape median had a gutter totally ponded with standing water that had overflowed from its sprinkler system. The morning joggers were gingerly trying to avoid the soggy green grass.
- One minute later, the news headline was how the UCLA campus had dramatically flooded due to a broken water main. People described a geyser and a river of water running through the campus, and 700 cars were stranded / underwater.

A very auspicious start to our first day of conservation!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 PM

emtrout is on a distinguished road

We sure need the rain. I could be mistaken but those fish look more like golden trout than rainbow trout or brown trout to me.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"Rain' we're getting in small batches here in Southern Oregon ..... problem is its all coming out of Thunder clouds. And boy 'o boy are they putting out the lightning. At least 5 Forrest fires going on in my immediate area. Add the total for the State and we're over 25, many of which are considered 'large.'

More of same predicted through this coming Monday.