The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By dunk91007
  • 1 Post By jgentile
  • 1 Post By darkshadow
  • 1 Post By acorad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 05:10 PM

dunk91007 will become famous soon enough
Default Wild Trout Day

I should be going to work. The economic well being and survival of my company depends on my presence. But the Ebola virus is threatening morphing into a worldwide epidemic which could effectively wipe out most of mankind. Whoever is left will likely have their heads lopped off by ISIS. What to do with the world ending- guess I will go fishing and on a Wednesday no less!

After a two-hour 90-mile drive from near LA, I park, but still need to hike downstream for about an hour. The strategy is to spend the entire day fishing upriver and back to the truck. The trail down river is mixed with boulder hoping, bushwhacking, and river crossings. Not easy going, but after a hard hour, it’s time to start fishing. I literally have the entire canyon and river to myself – there is absolutely no one here. If I fall and break a leg – there is absolutely no one here! My wife knows where the insurance policy is – all is good – I am fishing for wild trout what else matters.

I use a 7.5 foot 3 weight. The river is really a creek, but stuffed with wild trout. For this type fishing, it is best to wet wade and just stay in the river. With every move up river, fish are torpedoing out of the way. They are able to see and sense me a long way off. But I sometimes seem to be stepping on them. This is simply amazing and all wild trout. I tie on a pheasant tail and a zebra. They seem to go after the pheasant tail. The fish are much bigger than the last time I was here in the spring. They are in the 6” to 12” inch range, and are mostly rainbows but with some browns mixed in as well. I take off the zebra, and put on a flashback emerger. That seems to work as well. I mix it up with a lightening bug and rainbow warrior with similar results.

Midday, I tie into a really good size rainbow about 14” with wide shoulders. It took the emerger and is considered a trophy fish for this creek. I realize that this is the one I need a picture of – a painted rainbow. It takes me down several small falls, under rocks, and across a couple of pools. After getting the fish between two rocks, I finally reach down and pick it out the water – got it – but then slip and fall – the fish and my rod go flying. I guess that is why he is the big one!

It is 5:00 PM, the sun is setting on the canyon, and I know I have to get going. But just one more fish – one more cast (while here I am probably safe from Ebola). I am at the tail end of a nice run below a short cascade. I cast a rainbow warrior upstream into the riffle. But off to the side and heading upstream is a nice big brown – this is the one I want. But a smaller rainbow takes my fly – **** – this could scare off the brown – but the fish is still finning upstream. I quickly put the rainbow back and cast ahead of the brown. He takes the warrior – got him. It’s a nice 13” brown.

After getting the bragging picture, he is back in the water and I beat it back to the truck – is a good half-hour of hard hiking but with a cold beer at the end. The sun is going down from the canyon, but with 30 fish down, the drive back home is not so bad. It was a good day even with the world coming to an end.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice
Default Re: Wild Trout Day

Nice post...

A few things if I may:

I truly feel bad for you that it takes 2 hrs to get 90 miles. I have driven in and around LA. Even as I type this my blood pressure is rising.

Work on your delegating skills so you can fish more... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean?)

Don't worry about the Ebola virus and ISIS, prepare for the zombie apocalypse! (I'm a Walking Dead fan)

Post pics!

Joe
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

I'm glad somebody else is willing to traverse the urban jungle of LA to get onto some nice wild trout.

An excellent report!

It reminds me of my weekend treks. After coming back from Montana, I am truly envious of the individuals who have a productive creek in their backyard. Yet, I have no problems doing another 4 hour run to fish the Owens, knowing full well that I need to be back home that same day.

Once again, I truly enjoyed reading your report. It makes another day stuck in front of a computer and the Ebola virus just outside my window a bit better.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:15 PM

acorad is on a distinguished road

Really fantastic report dunk91007!

Creek fishing is what I grew up on and it remains my favorite. Was lucky enough to spend a week this summer with my son at a Boy Scout camp up on the central coast and played with the little creek's native 'bows every morning.

Your report reminds me fondly of that week!

Andy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dunk: Awesome trip report, but we want photos of your next trip out there!

Here are some tips on posting photos (just realize the forum doesn't allow uploading photos directly from you computer to a post):
A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you don't have a camera you can use your smart phone, just use the app Tapatalk to upload your photo directly to a post.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 PM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Excellent trip report! Makes me jealous that you only have to go 90 miles/2 hours to get to this stream. I have to drive about 3 hours to get to a (probably the same) trout stream that's not offline due to this drought. I miss the days of only a 45 min drive and park-and-play creek FULL of fish that almost nobody knew about. Please post the pictures of this brown!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:45 PM

mootsfly is a jewel in the roughmootsfly is a jewel in the roughmootsfly is a jewel in the roughmootsfly is a jewel in the rough

Love the trip report! We want photos next time.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

What a great report.. Felt like I was there experiencing it with you. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-09-2014, 01:43 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

dunk91007, thanks for C&R on your last brown trout - - we had fun today, and I left him there to challenge you again!
Click the image to open in full size.