The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By darkshadow
  • 1 Post By yikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold
Default The Local Stream

We all have that 'home' stream that you can drive to blindfolded if needed. Even the trail along the river becomes familiar, so familiar that you know which boulders in the stream to hop over, and which boulders are loose and would cause you to go swimming if stepped on. (Like last time.) You know which hole holds that one particular nice fish, but have never been able to cast to because of the cover, which is probably why it holds that nice fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

I had grabbed the 3 weight, the 1/2 day pack, a few tippet spools, 2 fly boxes and my retractor and my last pair of forceps this morning. I had two pairs of forceps but the last pair suffered a terrible drowning accident on the Yellowstone River weeks earlier, taking along my retractor with it.

During the drive to the trail head, I always try to motivate myself to hike upstream, past the furthest area I've hiked into before. I've always wanted to check out a nice canyon section that I scouted out on a topo map, but would require a good hour and half hike upstream. Since there is no real 'trail,' it's an exhausting hike, and quite frankly, hiking alone makes me a lot more conservative, and I manage subconsciously to stay near the trail head.

But, as usual, those pipe dreams are usually short lived, because at the first productive run moments from bush wacking downhill from the trail, I always decide to make "just one cast" and end up usually hooking a fish before the 10th cast. And it happened again, so after releasing the 9 inch brown that fell to my size 18 Stimmy, I decided to just work upstream from there, wet wading up the creek and getting quite a few browns and a pair of rainbows for the effort . The water is a bit lower, but with the drought situation, I was glad to see decent water conditions. The shrubbery has grown in even more, which makes a difficult situation even worse when it comes to trying to present a fly.

(Yes, I assure you that there's a creek behind the green stuff.)

Also ran into a few snakes, but none of the "OH $H|!" variety.

There were quite a few butterflies around as well, one of which was actually attacked by a 10" brown who jumped clear out of the water to eat the butterfly that had landed a few inches near the water's edge on a smooth rock. It escaped unscathed, and the brown flopped helplessly on top of the rock for a few seconds before sliding back into the drink. Unfortunately, I had left all my butterfly patterns at home.

I also lost my forceps, again, and I actually liked these ones. I got attacked by a swarm of ants and as I was shaking my pack off, the forceps flew off my bag and landed in the bushes somewhere. I need to get them surgically attached to me. Maybe that's why God invented nipple rings.

I fished up to the beginning of the canyon area, and decided to call it a day. I debated making a quick trip up into the canyong, but I know that the hike would've been a steeper grade, and the short trip I had planned this morning would have become an official 'trek' and I'd be getting home after dark, since I suffer from "what's around the next bend" syndrome.

jgentile, ejsell, sheepdog and 1 others like this.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:08 PM

acorad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Local Stream

Very nice!

If you've never done it, on the small overgrown local creeks where even my 7'6" 2wt is too long, I've just put the reel in my pocket and used the top 2 or 3 sections of the rod.

Works like a charm!

Andy
Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
Very nice!

If you've never done it, on the small overgrown local creeks where even my 7'6" 2wt is too long, I've just put the reel in my pocket and used the top 2 or 3 sections of the rod.

Works like a charm!

Andy
Andy,

That would be doing a 'semi Tenkara' method of fishing, and as I've found, the Tenkarists would be extremely offended by minimizing their sport into something simple like that.

;-)

Plenty of unorthodox castings to be made, for sure. But my reel is still firmly attached to my rod.

Plus, I pass over those spots where the big boys reside. They chose a good spot, so who am I to drop a bunker buster on top of them. If you have good IQ, I'll definitely leave you undisturbed, and hope your offspring exhibit the same behavior.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM

acorad is on a distinguished road

Ha! Sounds like you are creating some positive chi!

Andy
Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
Ha! Sounds like you are creating some positive chi!

Andy
The only thing I'm creating is resistance to the critters than live in that area that like to bite.

A few months ago, these same ants would exhibit a more aggressive attitude, and the only reason I'd feel them on me was because of their bite.

Now? They'll be crawling all over me, and I'll notice them only because the distinctive 'musky' smell that they release when they need reinforcements. I have NO clue what these types of ants are, but their appearance is a lot worse than their actual bite.

Here's hoping to a wet winter. All these guys will need it. And it'll be a shame seeing such an amazing fishery go downhill simply because of lack of water.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:19 PM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

So glad to see your local creek is still flowing! I'd kill for the same conditions on the little one that I Used to frequent... Mine is all dried up now, no water, no fish. All of the creeks down here are done for. There were a couple that held trophy trout (15"+) but they are all dried up. Unless the fish figured out how to burrow into the mud and hold out for a few months, those fisheries are destroyed. Really makes me wish I would have taken a few more trips to them when I had the chance. Now I've gotta drive all the way up to the San Bernadino's to get to a fishable creek. Enjoy it while you can!!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
So glad to see your local creek is still flowing! I'd kill for the same conditions on the little one that I Used to frequent... Mine is all dried up now, no water, no fish. All of the creeks down here are done for. There were a couple that held trophy trout (15"+) but they are all dried up. Unless the fish figured out how to burrow into the mud and hold out for a few months, those fisheries are destroyed. Really makes me wish I would have taken a few more trips to them when I had the chance. Now I've gotta drive all the way up to the San Bernadino's to get to a fishable creek. Enjoy it while you can!!
As a "tourney bass fisherman," of years past, I could have given 2 sh!ts about local watersheds. As long as the DFG had enough money to stock Snickers bars into local lakes so that the largemouth could grow to a size where I could cash a check finishing 5th, I could care less what was going on in our local watersheds.

Now, a 9 inch fish is worth saving, simply because I've become educated enough to understand that plight of these native fish.

Hopefully the weathermen's predictions of a wet winter will come to fruition. I've never truly understood how long an area will take to recover from something as devastating as a drought.

Every single cast I make into these areas, I appreciate the fact that I can do so, even though I know these fish's fate is all based on Mother Nature.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
As long as the DFG had enough money to stock Snickers bars into local lakes so that the largemouth could grow to a size where I could cash a check finishing 5th, I could care less what was going on in our local watersheds.
...Every single cast I make into these areas, I appreciate the fact that I can do so, even though I know these fish's fate is all based on Mother Nature.
Reading various posts by you and sheepdog, I also realize how our urban-adjacent fisheries are dependent on our own careful management. Yes, natural drought takes its toll, but in years past unimpounded watersheds would recover with steelhead coming back during wet years, etc. Now, our flood control systems, recreational mining/dredging, and thousands of daily visitors playing in the streambeds have stressed some areas seemingly beyond recovery.

Sheepdog previously mentioned that his local streams recovered once before from drought because biologists had saved a few native trout and kept them going in their labs until they could be reintroduced during a wet season (sort a reverse Noah's Ark tale). We need to similarly focus DFG and the forest service on helping our fisheries recover.

For those of us in LA, there is a window of political momentum for the "San Gabriel Mountains National Monument". Our local flyfishing club is surveying the West Fork in the coming days, to help DFG to properly manage this precious resource in the future.
runningfish likes this.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:37 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

The nearest stream or creek to me is the Lytle Creek, and it was painful to see the condition of it when I was there about 2 months ago. It showcasing the drought and the human impact to it's fullest.
I don't have the time to hike and fish farther than ones can carry their coolers like you, so I'll just enjoy the pictures and the stories.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics...thanks for sharing.That's a "technical "stream to fish...