The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shaunsquid
  • 1 Post By yikes
  • 1 Post By shaunsquid
  • 1 Post By shaunsquid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 PM

shaunsquid is on a distinguished road
Default Traverse Creek Falls

For as long as I could remember growing up I always saw a weird looking fishing pole in my Dad's garage. It sat on the rack, never moving, and always coated with a thick layer of dust. The other rods of course came and went with every trip we took. As I got older and learned more about fishing I came to realize it was something called a "fly rod". All I knew is that it looked really difficult and I was perfectly happy with chucking worms and rooster tails for bows like my dad taught me when I was 5. When I hit my early 20s I started to actually ask him about the abandoned rod. He told me "Son, years ago, I saw A River Runs Through It and immediately wanted to give fly fishing a try. I went and bought myself the cheapest rod and reel combo I could find, tried it for a month, and decided it was just too damn difficult so on that shelf it has sat for two decades....you want it?"

I had always preferred trout fishing above all else and knew that fly fishing was supposed to be a go-to, sure-fire trout slayer so I leaped at the opportunity. I didn't have any money for fancy guides or lessons so I started devouring every YouTube video and online article I could find, trying to learn how you jerks made flycasting look so simple. I spent countless hours standing in the middle of a grass field at multiple parks practicing my cast. I cannot tell you how many jokes I had to field of "What are you fishing for, Lawn Fish? huhuh". When I finally felt like I could place a fly with some semblance of accuracy and without nailing myself in the back of the head this the hook every five minutes, I hit the Stillaguamish River in Washington (I was living in Seattle at the time). I got in the water and quickly realized I had no idea what I was doing still. I couldn't cast more the 10 to 15 feet on a good day so casting upstream on fast moving water was proving pretty pointless. Again, being clueless, I tried just letting my fly float downstream from me while I frantically stripped line out to try to let it "drift naturally". To top it all of I couldn't have been more clueless in regards to fly selection. I just picked whatever looked pretty out of my pre-filled box, tied it on, and hoped for the best. Despite my incompetence, I got extremely lucky and hooked two rainbows. One semi-intentional and one 100% dumb luck: while untangling a knot in my fly line, I had a dry floating downstream being tossed and turned by the current. When I got the knot undone, I went to make a forward cast upstream. As I made my cast, something with substantially more mass than a dry fly wizzed past my head... a 4-inch bow that had taken the fly while I was fiddling with my gear. He was just as clueless as I was.

Now I am back in California and am still honing my skills and by no means do I feel I have earned the right to call myself a fly-fisherman yet. But I practice constantly and still read anything I can get my hands on. This last weekend marked a big occasion for me: the first trout that I really felt like I earned. I hiked with a date into Travers Creek Falls, outside of Placerville, CA. I lugged my waders and rod down the steep trail. I had warned my hiking companion that she better bring a book or something to entertain herself for a bit and she readily agreed to hang out while I fished for as long as I want. I didn't expect to have much luck on a dry but wanted to try anyways. I couldn't tell you the name of the two dries I tried, but it doesn't matter. I got one hit that took me by surprise and I missed the set. Then silence. I tied on a red and green copper bob as a dropper, eye-balling a stead stream of foam that started at the base of the falls and shot across the pool to an undercut on the right side of the pool. I cast halfway between the base of the falls and the undercut and hit my target dead on. I watched the dry float along and suddenly take a quick dip. In my excitement, I set the hook too early. I continued the drift then recast to the same spot. Another hit, I waited a split second more, then set the hook. I could feel that satisfying tug-tug to tell me that I had finally managed to do something right. I stripped in the little 6 incher, slid the hook out, and stole a few moments to look at my beautiful bounty. I had finally landed a fish, on a barbless fly, on my own merits alone. I let the little fella go and repeated the process. I missed quite a few takes but ended up getting in three and couldn't be happier. A beautiful spot, a beautiful day, and a beautiful fish (albeit small).
Looks like I cannot insert a picture directly, so I will have to do that later.

I go through periods in my life where I get the bug bad. I will cut out of work early and race to a fishing hole to get my line wet 4-5 days a week. Forego payday drinks with my buddies on a Friday so I can get to bed early and be the first to my favorite hole. Over the last 3 years I have lost that itch. Due to this past weekend, I think I finally found it again.
sheepdog likes this.

Last edited by shaunsquid; 03-04-2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traverse Creek Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsquid View Post
trying to learn how you jerks made flycasting look so simple
Shaun: You lost me when you called us "jerks", probably not the best way to make a first impression on the forum.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 PM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Shaun: You lost me when you called us "jerks", probably not the best way to make a first impression on the forum.
I'll take the word (of implied jealousy at the talents of more seasoned flyfishermen) with the artistic license that I believe was intended for the story. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the writing!
sheepdog likes this.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes View Post
I'll take the word (of implied jealousy at the talents of more seasoned flyfishermen) with the artistic license that I believe was intended for the story. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the writing!
Yeah, you nailed it. No insult intended, just me expressing how dumbfounding it was watching people cast at first.
yikes likes this.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you had a blast at that spot. Check out this thread on posting pictures so you can get those guys up. I'd love to see the spot and the fish from your story!

A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;
Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Good grief, the photo feature is a pain in the butt on this site. It wouldn't let me upload photos on the site so had to find another spot to host them. Hopefully this works.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
sheepdog likes this.