The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By hilop
  • 1 Post By yikes
  • 1 Post By tomrich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM

hilop is on a distinguished road
Default Kern river Quick report

Took a quick 2 day trip with the family up to the kern to do some fly fishing. I watched guy jeans reports and knew it was going to be blown out but still had to give it a shot. The river was definitely too much to safely fish with my sons but we did fish a couple Eddie areas but came up empty. We also tried lake Isabella for crappie and caught another skunk. On our way back to Coral creek lodge which has the best price in town, we stopped by a spot I've had luck at before. As we pulled up another couple were already fishing in the spot(bummer) but the husband hooks and lands a very nice trout and let my boy hold it.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kern river Quick report

Thanks for the report. Man, that's a lot of water!
I was hoping that the high flows would start creating some major side channels that would hold fish, but it looks like it's just one massive trough of water.

FYI, I've tried some of the smallest creeks closer to your home, but they also are flowing too high for their size. Yes, they are wadeable, but the current is flowing too fast for fish to comfortably rest and think about something to eat:

Long term, this will be great for scouring and revitalizing our stream beds! But short term, it's not fishable; and when it does calm down, the structure will have changed so much that we have to re-learn our favorite waters.
GrtLksMarlin likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

That's a nice fish! Looks like the a broodstock.

I'm curious to see what that area is going to look like come May/June when the peak of the run off occurs.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:23 PM

hilop is on a distinguished road

I'm very optimistic about the local creeks and reservoirs. I'm going to start hitting them on a weekly basis with my sons if possible.

As far as the kern, they're thinking it might be high until July. As far as the spot we were fishing, there were plenty of aerobatics from other large trout as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:53 PM

tomrich is on a distinguished road

The Kern River catching will be difficult and unsafe for most of the summer because the drainage has the highest snow pack of all of the rivers in CA at+200% of normal. The hatchery there has been under construction since Oct 2016 and won't be finished for months. When it is completed it will be great. But for now not so much. The last five summers the river temps have exceeded 80 degrees above Kernville and that was devastating to the wild trout population. Check out the Kern River Fly Fishers club web site under fishing reports for the best data based fishing reports there we know of.
Kern River Fly Fishers Club - Bakersfield, California
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 PM

acorad is just really niceacorad is just really niceacorad is just really niceacorad is just really nice

Thanks Tom, excellent and informational first post. Welcome to the forum!

Andy
Old 04-13-2017, 06:04 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info Tom!

It looks like a lot of shifting of plans this year, as I've been used to lower than average run off for the past 5 years I've been fly fishing.

Will definitely be a learning experience, and although a lot of these major tributaries might be blown out for a while, it gives me more reason to explore the other smaller 'blue lines' on the map.

Already have gotten a welcome surprise close to home, so I think I won't mind not making those 4 hour drives to the Kern for a day trip.

I'm crossing my fingers that Fall should provide us with more water than the low flows I've been used to for half a decade.

-DS