The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By creeker
  • 2 Post By yikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 PM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future
Default McCloud River access or lack of access per USFS

Forest Service:

“We have been out doing storm damage assessments to the roads with the recent snowmelt and we found another one that is impassible to fishing sites. The road to Ah-Di-Na is currently not drivable from the Battle Creek road crossing. This is the first creek crossing when you turn on the dirt road to Ah-Di-Na from the reservoir (38N53). This is obviously going to cause many problems with accessing the McCloud River. I was also told of the road heading to Ash Camp being problematic just beyond the road to the McCloud Dam where the road has been slowly degrading. My understanding is our road crew is currently doing repairs to the Fenders Fairy road which was also blown out in parts. Please let others know of the condition of the roads to the McCloud River. I know this will create major headaches with the upcoming opening of the McCloud River fishing season.”

Regards,

Tim C.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM

creeker is a name known to allcreeker is a name known to allcreeker is a name known to allcreeker is a name known to allcreeker is a name known to allcreeker is a name known to all
Default Re: McCloud River access or lack of access per USFS

USFS is usally pretty good at road repair, not because they give a hoot about fishing access, but because they need access for fire season. Look for the repairs to be done sooner than later.
fredaevans, k_e_v and jescowhite like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
USFS is usally pretty good at road repair, not because they give a hoot about fishing access, but because they need access for fire season. Look for the repairs to be done sooner than later.
Fishing the Conservatory has always been on my To Do list. I can never seem to find my way up north though. Maybe on year....
Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 PM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Fishing the Conservatory has always been on my To Do list. I can never seem to find my way up north though. Maybe on year....
darkshadow, when the flows calm down, you need to spend a week up near Burney or Fall River Mills. You have the Hat Creek, Fall River, Burney Falls, the McCloud, Pit River, and even the lower Sac, all within an hour's drive or less.
Click the image to open in full size.

If it were driving instead of fishing, it would be like the 4-level in downtown LA. (and in the case of Hat Creek, sometimes the same amount of people as the 4-level.)
fredaevans and tcorfey like this.