bass pole?

tight loops

Reaction score
any input on a bass fly pole. I have a 9ft 5wt and a 3wt but i think i need something closer to a 8wt. is that right? brand, size and wt.

thanks for the help

milt spawn

Reaction score
thinkin' about the colorado river? you can catch bass with your 5 but it would be far easier with a 7 or 8. the size and bulk of poppers and buggers make it almost a necessity. i do use a 5 quite often for smallmouth where i fish smaller patterns.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

to answer the second part of your question there are myriad choices out there, even bass specific rods made to comply with tournament regs. i use a 7wt redington that matches well with my brain speed (slow). finding the right line and action to suit your casting stroke is most important. other things you might consider are price and multi-purpose use, saltwater etc...

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Milt pretty much covered some basics. I'll add or expand on a few thoughts.

A term that I use quite a bit is "delivery system." A rod paired up with a good line will be able to deliver whatever kind of fly that you want to present. If you are throwing 1/0 deer hair frogs at Largmouth Bass, you might want to consider an eight weight. Depending on the rod, you may want to overline the rod by one or two line weights to deliver the fly. Conversely you may use a six weight if you are throwing moderate buggers.

There are two types of bass rods. You can get the shorter tournament style rods, or you can get the traditional nine footers. If you plan on making short casts with floating lines, get the tournament style. If you plan on using a variety of lines to cast at a multitude of distances, get the longer rods.

As for brands, just about every brand has a good fit for someone.

For all around usage, get a nine foot eight weight.

MP

951tightline

Reaction score
thinkin' about the colorado river? you can catch bass with your 5 but it would be far easier with a 7 or 8. the size and bulk of poppers and buggers make it almost a necessity. i do use a 5 quite often for smallmouth where i fish smaller patterns.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

to answer the second part of your question there are myriad choices out there, even bass specific rods made to comply with tournament regs. i use a 7wt redington that matches well with my brain speed (slow). finding the right line and action to suit your casting stroke is most important. other things you might consider are price and multi-purpose use, saltwater etc...
where abouts do u fish on the colorado river?

Stan Wright

Reaction score
Check out the Sage "Bass" rods. They were designed for fishing the Calif. Delta and Mexico Bass.

It's designed for casting big bass bugs... The rod comes with it's own specially designed fly line.

I have all 3, The Largemouth, Smallmouth, and the Bluegill.

Sep

Reaction score
Check out the Sage "Bass" rods. They were designed for fishing the Calif. Delta and Mexico Bass.

It's designed for casting big bass bugs... The rod comes with it's own specially designed fly line.

I have all 3, The Largemouth, Smallmouth, and the Bluegill.
You might also check out the Redington Predator, also a Sage product, but much cheaper. I have a 7'10" 6wt, use it for largemouths on a good sized river, and absolutely love it.

Check out Cliff's review: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/gear-reviews/11075-redington-predator.html

Sep