The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default 13+" Trout in California Rivers

Which River(s), stream(s), creek(s), you know moving water provide the best opportunity to catch wild trout of any kind 13" or larger in public access areas, even if you have to hike a mile or more to get to them.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-30-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 13+" Trout in California Rivers

any prefered part of Cali?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
any prefered part of Cali?
Northern within a couple hours of Sacramento would be the preference since I'm in Sacramento County, but I'm interested in anywhere, between Mexico, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. LOL
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

In Southern Ca we are happy, err scratch that.... ecstatic if we can find an eight to ten inch natural trout!! They have larger stockers but very rarely do the survive after a week or two after the stocking.

Sean
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
In Southern Ca we are happy, err scratch that.... ecstatic if we can find an eight to ten inch natural trout!! They have larger stockers but very rarely do the survive after a week or two after the stocking.

Sean
Thanks for the reply...

Okay Scratch SoCal lakes, rivers, etc. off my list. Sorry, I can catch all the 8"-10" browns & rainbows I want nearly any day.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

head up 80 and hit any section of the Truckee right now. Lots of big browns coming out in the 24 inch range. The Little Truckee is another good choice as well as the Yuba.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 AM

goby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
Northern within a couple hours of Sacramento would be the preference since I'm in Sacramento County, but I'm interested in anywhere, between Mexico, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. LOL
Check out Kiene's Fly Shop for more information. If you haven't been there, it's an amazing place with knowledgeable people.

For fishing closer to the Oregon border, check out The Fly Shop for information. Another great place.

There are literally hundreds of places to fish in the are you have described. I live in Trinity County, and my biggest trout this year was about 25". And in a few months, the steelhead will arrive.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks Goby,

I know all those places well and as a matter of fact I have have shopped at Keine's for over 25+. Matter of fact I am going into Keine's tomorrow to pick up a blank replacement from Sage since I broke my Sage Light Line rod tip a month ago.

However I was hoping I might learn about some of the spots that you typically do not hear about in fly shops. It was a shot in the dark as I realize most people would not share if they know such places and for good reason, but perhaps someone will send me a P.M. about a good spot.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM

After talking with a few buddies who have been out in the last week I would definitely say hit the Truckee anywhere. BIG browns coming out on a regular basis averaging 20 to 24 inches right now. Crayfish are getting hot as well as stones. Find a spot that you can't see the bottom and fish away.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on me for biting my tongue.

Alpine County has been heavily stocking the East Carson (above Hangman's Bridge) and the West Carson. Look to find 12" to some rather large (up to 30") rainbows, cutts, and browns.

If you are willing to hike, consider hiking into the wild trout section below Hangman's Bridge. There is always some homie that is ready to be hooked.

MP

PS: Homie = large wild trout