The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyafishionado View Post
Nice going. What patterns did you use?

Don't know if that was directed towards me or not but on that day I used some 16 or 18 elk hair caddis flies. Went back in the middle of December right after a rain. Water was pretty muddy colored, Tried lots of different dries, then wound up putting a prince nymph on and dropping it in at the head of a pool. After that it was almost fish on every cast for an hour or so. Was the only time I actually lost track of how many fish I caught. Can't wait for the road to clear up so I can head back to Deep Creek.. OOh and the ocean has to quit sucking the air from the mountains. Darn Santa Ana winds make fishing a pain in the .. well you know

Sean
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sean.
Yes, the weather! I heard on the radio today that there was a la nina condition that will push the precipitation north and away from us for an undetermined length of time. The commentator said it might be a dry winter. Sigh.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

nfsravens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
Caddisfly I will send you a PM on directions there..
Sean
Hi, Tree Catcher, I can't hold myself to San Gabriel River West Fork. I planned to get there on tomorrow, Saturday. Would you please PM me with the direction, please?

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Looks like it's going to be raining today, Might want to wait a week and try next week. Went to Deep creek after a rain and it was a swollen muddy river. Not too fun to fish in. Might not be that safe either. Sent you a PM

Sean
Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
Looks like it's going to be raining today, Might want to wait a week and try next week. Went to Deep creek after a rain and it was a swollen muddy river. Not too fun to fish in. Might not be that safe either. Sent you a PM
Sean
Sean, I received your PM last night, thank you and here is the trip.
Rain heavy on the way to San Gabriel River but a little rain along freeway 39, it got less and less when I approach to West Folk. I arrived the closed gate at around 10:45 this morning, very light showery. A lot of water in the river, color is brown, still clear for about 1-2 feet, a lot of leaves and stuff under the water floating, water running very fast. I saw 2 Guys and 1 Kid spinning fishing at the stocking area but report no catch. I passed Bear Greek and get into the "catch & release" area. Tried 3 spots, my fly cannot catch the fish's eye or I didn't cast to the correct place. I have 0 catch today. When I walk back around 2:30PM, the rain has completely stopped and Sun has comes out. I saw two guys at stock area caught two fishes at the same time while one of them said "no, we got nothing.", The Trout is about 8 inches and the other unknown to me is about 5 inches. They return them back to the river immediately, Interesting. Then I chat a little bit with a Pro, wader with fly fishing setup walking from the closed gate to the stocking area.
When I almost arrived the Closed Gate, a Ranger caught me from behind asked me where I was fishing and show me something regarding about new regulation of the river. He mentioned there will be no fish stocking to the stream anymore, the nearest stocking area will be the lake in San Dimas, Bob did mentioned the Lake name but I did not remember, I have no interesting to Lake. I told him then, the whole river should be “Catch & release” to protect the environment or very soon, there will be no fish at all.
San Gabriel River West Fork is a very good place to enjoy a relax weekend. If I know there are camp ground 6 mile from Bear Greek, I should stay a night over there later.
Meet you guy there!
(I'll upload some pictures took from my cheap cell phone when it is ready, tonight, I hope)
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Picture
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Nice pictures!! Enjoy the solitude of the canyon while you can, Summertime that place is completely different. You will need a bicycle to get past the local swimmers to get to some great water. Also you can camp at Glenn camp, I havent done it yet but want to. Just have to pick a weekend to do it and pack a bicycle with my tent trailer

Sean
Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

dryflyin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsravens View Post
[...] I saw 2 Guys and 1 Kid spinning fishing at the stocking area but report no catch. I passed Bear Greek and get into the "catch & release" area. [...] When I walk back around 2:30PM, the rain has completely stopped and Sun has comes out. I saw two guys at stock area caught two fishes at the same time while one of them said "no, we got nothing.", The Trout is about 8 inches and the other unknown to me is about 5 inches. They return them back to the river immediately, Interesting. Then I chat a little bit with a Pro, wader with fly fishing setup walking from the closed gate to the stocking area.
When I almost arrived the Closed Gate, a Ranger caught me from behind asked me where I was fishing and show me something regarding about new regulation of the river. He mentioned there will be no fish stocking to the stream anymore, the nearest stocking area will be the lake in San Dimas, Bob did mentioned the Lake name but I did not remember, I have no interesting to Lake. I told him then, the whole river should be “Catch & release” to protect the environment or very soon, there will be no fish at all.
[...]
Hmmmm, interesting. I've read the DFG regs for that water twice, but I want to make sure I'm reading them right. Isn't the stocked section of the West Fork closed for the season? Shouldn't there be no fishing at all from Highway 39 to the second bridge upstream (the wild trout section)?

Also interesting that that ranger was even up there, and was talking about new regulations. Certainly, DFG has announced that they won't be stocking that river, at least not until 2010 due to the lawsuit by the Center for Biological Diversity. Did he say anything about changing the actual regulations and limits on fishing that water? I presume he was a USFS ranger?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 AM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Dryflyin,
I can't find any DFG closures for the West Fork. I left the references on your PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 AM

dryflyin is on a distinguished road

Hi Flyafishianado,

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the regulations correctly, so let me know what you think. It's the lack of mention of the section of the West Fork immediately above and below Highway 39 that led me to my belief. Since that part of the river is not mentioned, my interpretation was that general trout season rules apply. However, I just re-read Article 2 General District Regulations, and under Southern District is the following:

(3) All streams except anadromous waters in Los
Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Orange, San
Bernardino and Riverside Counties, and except those
listed by name in the Special Regulations.

I think I must have previously missed the North District header, and thought those rules (including a Nov. 15 end of season) applied everywhere. My error.

So now I think you're right. That part of the West Fork is not specifically restricted, so by Southern District General Regulations, it's open year round with a catch limit of 5.

I'd be pleased to know if this is correct. There are a couple of spots before you reach that catch and release section that I enjoy, and I'd resigned myself to hiking past them.