The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Mudboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: San Gabriel River West Fork

Ironically, every time I’ve tried fishing a nymph on either the WF or EF, I've gotten more interest in my strike indicator than the nymph. One time I was fishing a small EH Caddis on the WF and the current pulled it underwater. I got a strike as I was retrieving it to recast so I put on a small split shot about 12” up from the fly and fished it like a streamer. To my surprise, it actually worked.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Got to the W Fork early this morning (the 3rd of July) and found the first parking lot full... Hmm.... Lots of parking spaces filled in 2nd parking lot too.. Double hmmmmm.......

However, after riding my bike to just past the fishing cabin, I was surprised to see no one out fishing....

I worked a couple of the deeper pools with 2 fly rig, and landed 2 fish on a #16 Wooly Bugger. Lots of strikes and a couple of fish on after that, but none landed.

Gusto
Old 07-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Man.... went up to the West Fork today (7-9-2010). Lots and lots of trash within the first mile of the trailhead, and even more graffiti lining the road, rocks, and trash cans.

Looks like the 4th of July crowd needs a little lesson on stewardship.

Did I mention the diapers in the parking lot?

Luckily, most of this was contained to the first 2 miles, and after that all was well. But man, that first mile was REALLY bad. I remember when I went a week ago I saw a couple of "camps" within the first mile, and the people actually had luggage carriers left up on the road where they brought all their "necessities" in.

I guess they forget to pack everything out...

The graffiti was really the worst, though. You could tell it was just the same people just walking up and down the road, almost like a free-for-all with no supervision in sight.

Gusto
Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

dryflyin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
Man.... went up to the West Fork today (7-9-2010).
Hey, were you walking back out around 1:30 PM? If so, I think we saw each other. I was headed in and said hi. I think I have the same reel as you - an Orvis LA-III - but I didn't see what rod you were carrying.

Having fished on that water for a couple of years now, I knew I'd get upset if I looked around too much. I just kept my eyes on the road, and hurried up farther than the picnic-ers are willing to go. I chose to fish a stretch of water that's tough to access as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyin View Post
Hey, were you walking back out around 1:30 PM? If so, I think we saw each other. I was headed in and said hi. I think I have the same reel as you - an Orvis LA-III - but I didn't see what rod you were carrying.

Having fished on that water for a couple of years now, I knew I'd get upset if I looked around too much. I just kept my eyes on the road, and hurried up farther than the picnic-ers are willing to go. I chose to fish a stretch of water that's tough to access as well.
Nah, that wasn't me. I didn't get up there until around 2 or so. I've been skulking some harder-to-get-to areas myself. One area I looked at, but wasn't sure if I even wanted to try it, was the water up past where the road starts going uphill towards the dam. There's kind of a semi-split dirt road that bears off to the right.

Looks pretty brushy in them there parts, but it could be interesting since there's basically no direct access, as the road leaves the edge of the river.

Hmmmm.....

Gusto
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM

Had some weird kind of "luck" on the West Fork over the weekend. I hadn't even planned on fishing, but Sunday morning before 9am opened up for me, so I decided to make another early morning run, waking up at 4am. I was at the trailhead by 5am and was surprised to see two other fly fisherman getting ready.

I've been making a note to practice my nymphing before seeing any surface activity, so I made use of my new thingamabobbers and within the first hour landed 3 nice fish, all about 7-8 inches, with a couple of hits not landed.

At this point, I moved to a different stretch of water and switched to dry flies, even though surface activity hadn't quite picked up yet. Went to an Adams... nothing. Royall Wulff... nothing. Hmm.... At this point I started seeing more rises, but wasn't getting any strikes. Switched over to a size 20 Griffith's Gnat and landed 3 more nice fish, including one solid 8 incher.

At this point I had to take off, so I packed up my stuff and headed out. On my way back to the car I saw some people heading in with surf-casting rods, others throwing their trash on the ground, and one fly fisherman walking out with a nice sized trout dangling from a creel. An interesting lot, to say the least.

I went home and had a bunch of stuff to take care of, so it wasn't until about midday I started going through all my fishing stuff. I started pulling out my fly boxes and one was gone! Turns out my box of wet flies had disappeared.

Man, I wasn't really concerned about the cost, more the time it took me to make all the flies. (I'm VERY slow at tying flies). I remembered one time I put on an extra shirt and I had to take my carrier off, so I figured, if anything, it would be where I changed. (I kind of have a bad habit of leaving the pocket open).

I went out to my car to load up my bike again and found my tire flat.

Man, this was turning out to be worse than expected.

I changed the tube in my tire, then took off. I made it back up to the trailhead, back to where I changed, and sure enough, the fly box was lying there on the ground. Phew!

Got lucky that time!

Gusto
Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM

hoshnasi is on a distinguished road

I'm a total fly fishing noob. This weekend will be my first trip to San Gabriel and actual stream fishing, up to this point it was all lakes. With that said I think I have an idea where to head and enough gear to hopefully land a fish... The problem is I have no waders.

How cold is that water in July? Is bank fishing even possible?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

You can wet wade, just wear some foot protection. There could be broken glass in the first few miles of the forks. Work on your casting before you head up, especially the roll cast. There is lots of brush around and its easy to get aggrivated by catching brush and trees. You only need to cast out 25 feet for the most part. Its not often that the rivers are wider than that and the brush is very thick. This will go for just about all of the waters in Sothern Ca.

Sean
Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM

hoshnasi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Catcher View Post
You can wet wade, just wear some foot protection. There could be broken glass in the first few miles of the forks. Work on your casting before you head up, especially the roll cast. There is lots of brush around and its easy to get aggrivated by catching brush and trees. You only need to cast out 25 feet for the most part. Its not often that the rivers are wider than that and the brush is very thick. This will go for just about all of the waters in Sothern Ca.
Sean
Any idea how cold that water is right now? I'm expecting cold, I'll make due
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of getting out and fishing in the locals since April. I would expect that with the warm weather, taking a dip in the river would be refreshingly cool. Its only freezing when you first hop in, after that you get used to it.

Sean