The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Southwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/)
-   -   Fly fishing spots in Napa/Sonoma area? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-southwest/6142-fly-fishing-spots-napa-sonoma-area.html)

ducktrooper 10-06-2008 09:36 AM

Fly fishing spots in Napa/Sonoma area?

Hello...my wife and I will be in Calistoga CA in early Nov. and I'd like to fly fish for trout/steelhead. Are there any rivers worth trying within an hour? Also, any suggestions on guides? THanks..

john in memphis

Frank Whiton 10-06-2008 09:56 AM

Re: Fly fishing spots in Napa/Sonoma area?

Hi Ducktrooper,

You can get some fishing at Putah Creek. Here is a link to a guide. I don't know anything about the guide, good or bad. It will be at least an hour North of Napa.

Frank

Flywgn 10-06-2008 10:18 AM

Hi John,

I might suggest taking Hwy 128 from Calistoga through the Alexander Valley to the Russian River. I think if you do a quick www search you might find plenty of information about guides for that fishery.

Allen R

P.S. (on edit) The advantage of Hwy 128 is that if the fishing is poor there are several dynamite wineries along the way.

MBWCC 10-07-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 36651)
Hi Ducktrooper,

You can get some fishing at Putah Creek. Here is a link to a guide. I don't know anything about the guide, good or bad. It will be at least an hour North of Napa.

Frank

Putah Creek is a good choice from Napa. Early November is a good time as the irrigation flows stop, the river level is down, and wading is an option.

Best spots:

1. The short section of pool/riffles leading into the short, steep gradient rapids downstream of the Hwy 128 crossing below the dam. There is a parking area on the west side of the river, just before the bridge, south of the highway.

2. The rapids and pools near the park parking area further east of #1. This last is before the highway takes a decided right turn towards Winters and downstream of the long slack area just below #1. There is a small daily fee to park in the park parking lot but there are also amble pull-outs along the highway west of the park parking area entrance.

Favorite flies in November will be gummy salmon eggs, Fox's Poopah, PMDs, etc. If I remember correctly from previous trips the rainbows will be building redds at that time of year (I need to check my notes on that one).

Beware of car break-ins in this area. I have never had a problem, but the general recommendation is do not take extra fly rods & equipment or leave them in your vehicle.

ducktrooper 10-07-2008 10:46 PM

Thanks for the tips..MBWCC....can you suggest a good fly shop nearby that I could pick up flies from and that would have an idea of what they're hitting on? I assume with low water it would be nymphing with indicator? Thanks..

troutdoorsman 10-08-2008 12:44 AM

I'm not sure how far you're looking to travel to fish but Sacramento has quite a few good spots. Check out Kiene's fly shop for more info. You can hook into trout, steelies, stripers, large and smallmouth bass, shad and catfish in that area.

MBWCC 10-08-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducktrooper (Post 36773)
Thanks for the tips..MBWCC....can you suggest a good fly shop nearby that I could pick up flies from and that would have an idea of what they're hitting on?

I'm sorry, but I can't be of much help with a local shop. The shop I knew and loved was in Pleasanton, but it closed this past winter for lack of sufficient business. I don't know of any fly shops in the Napa area. The now closed shop's owner's son is a college student at UC Davis and a frequent fixture on Putah Creek. "Chris" comes to mind as the son's name, but that's one of those memory items you don't know why or where.

Quote:

I assume with low water it would be nymphing with indicator? Thanks..
I use an indicator, but opinions and techniques do vary.