The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 AM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing spots in Napa/Sonoma area?

Hello...my wife and I will be in Calistoga CA in early Nov. and I'd like to fly fish for trout/steelhead. Are there any rivers worth trying within an hour? Also, any suggestions on guides? THanks..

john in memphis
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly fishing spots in Napa/Sonoma area?

Hi Ducktrooper,

You can get some fishing at Putah Creek. Here is a link to a guide. I don't know anything about the guide, good or bad. It will be at least an hour North of Napa.

Frank
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Hi John,

I might suggest taking Hwy 128 from Calistoga through the Alexander Valley to the Russian River. I think if you do a quick www search you might find plenty of information about guides for that fishery.

Allen R

P.S. (on edit) The advantage of Hwy 128 is that if the fishing is poor there are several dynamite wineries along the way.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Ducktrooper,

You can get some fishing at Putah Creek. Here is a link to a guide. I don't know anything about the guide, good or bad. It will be at least an hour North of Napa.

Frank
Putah Creek is a good choice from Napa. Early November is a good time as the irrigation flows stop, the river level is down, and wading is an option.

Best spots:

1. The short section of pool/riffles leading into the short, steep gradient rapids downstream of the Hwy 128 crossing below the dam. There is a parking area on the west side of the river, just before the bridge, south of the highway.

2. The rapids and pools near the park parking area further east of #1. This last is before the highway takes a decided right turn towards Winters and downstream of the long slack area just below #1. There is a small daily fee to park in the park parking lot but there are also amble pull-outs along the highway west of the park parking area entrance.

Favorite flies in November will be gummy salmon eggs, Fox's Poopah, PMDs, etc. If I remember correctly from previous trips the rainbows will be building redds at that time of year (I need to check my notes on that one).

Beware of car break-ins in this area. I have never had a problem, but the general recommendation is do not take extra fly rods & equipment or leave them in your vehicle.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips..MBWCC....can you suggest a good fly shop nearby that I could pick up flies from and that would have an idea of what they're hitting on? I assume with low water it would be nymphing with indicator? Thanks..
Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure how far you're looking to travel to fish but Sacramento has quite a few good spots. Check out Kiene's fly shop for more info. You can hook into trout, steelies, stripers, large and smallmouth bass, shad and catfish in that area.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
Thanks for the tips..MBWCC....can you suggest a good fly shop nearby that I could pick up flies from and that would have an idea of what they're hitting on?
I'm sorry, but I can't be of much help with a local shop. The shop I knew and loved was in Pleasanton, but it closed this past winter for lack of sufficient business. I don't know of any fly shops in the Napa area. The now closed shop's owner's son is a college student at UC Davis and a frequent fixture on Putah Creek. "Chris" comes to mind as the son's name, but that's one of those memory items you don't know why or where.

Quote:
I assume with low water it would be nymphing with indicator? Thanks..
I use an indicator, but opinions and techniques do vary.