The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road
Default DFG legal case

Just curious. In light of the possible court injunction against stocking fish, what's the word is regarding future DFG stocks at the San Gabriel River? Anyone know?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: DFG legal case

Yeah, the San Gabriel east fork and west fork will NOT be stocked. As well as the two rivers close to me, the Kaweah and the Kern Rivers, NOT stocked. All of those are heavily fished so they will be fished out and dead.
The word is no stocking until an environmental impact study is complete. It is to be complete in 2010.
A suit was filed by an environmental group to stop stocking because of the adverse effect trout had on frogs and certain insects.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks Jimmie. Ouch! That is going to hurt.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Yup its going to hurt really bad for some people especailly in the towns like Kernville. They depend on the tourism to keep the town alive. Without lots of fisherman coming up there and bringing there dollars the towns are going to be in trouble.. Sucks too since gas is getting back to normal prices and can actually afford to go places. Guess it back to staring at maps looking for little creeks and rivers that no one really knows about.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Bill, who works in the fishing section of "Sportsman's Warehouse", told me last night that he had just finished talking to a DFG agent. The agent said that there are enough fish in the rivers that we shouldn't feel much adverse effect for a year. He did say if it takes over a year then we will. Just remember this is third hand info so ??????
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 PM

Hookenum is on a distinguished road

This is just horrible news. Not only are the activists destroying the fishing they're totally ruining lives as many small communities are in existance because they attract fishermen. I hope this is a short term thing and it gets resolved quickly. I must be hallucinating as nothing goes through the court systsems in California quickly. If anybody with updated information would post or link information it would be greatly appreciated.........
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

What I do not understand is how they decide just who or what is causing the harm done to natural amphibians or fish in the rivers and streams?? Umm Hello has anyone been to the West Fork of the San Gabriel River on a summer weekend and not seen all the trash left behind??? Just a wild guess but I doubt that its the stocked fish. I did a little bit of pondering on what could be the problem with that river.. If we think about it seriously for a moment. This is a river that is essentially goverened by man with the flow coming from Cogswell resivoir. What would it be like if there was no dam 8 miles upstream from the trail head? Would the river still have the same cold flow? Would it still be stained that copper color??
On a side note I did just fish the stocked area of that river on Sunday... A couple of nibbles on the prince nymph or was the bead getting stuck in the rocks.. Wound up with the white stripe on my back. I saw a few but they didn't want what I was offering them. It was more of a way to kill some time and refresh some batteries. Dam waders still leak

Sean
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Here's a link that shows a little until the New Year.
DFG Fish Stocking (Planting) 11/24/2008 - 1/1/2010
After a reread this goes until New Year 2010. Darn.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Jimmie,
Nice concise list. Thanks for providing the link.