The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 PM

scottisko0L is on a distinguished road
Default frenchmans flat???

anyone ever heard of frenchmans flats? its located in california near lake piru and lake pyramid. the reason im asking is because i live down here in corona california and there isnt ANYWHERE to fish for some trout. and my dad recently told me about frenchmans flat and i thought i would come on here and ask you guys about it. is it worth the 2 hour drive? if u have fished it can u give me any tips about what the trout like up there?

Catch-N-Release Wild Trout ZEROlimit
Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: frenchmans flat???

I have never been to Frenchmans flat but if you are looking for trout fishing there are lots close to you. I live right up the freeway from you and you need to get out and look more. Are you looking for large stocker trout in a lake, if so there is Corona Lake, Santa Ana River Lakes and Irvine Lake. Those are the pay to fish lakes that do not require a fishing license but it can also be urban warfare fishing. If you look towards the mountains there are lots of places to go fishing for trout that are free and that not that many people know about them.. The fish are small but fun and the scenery can't be beat for being only about an hour away. For the rivers you can try either the West Fork of the San Gabriel or the Santa Ana River above hwy 38 not the part along the 91 freeway. Unfortunately both of those are well known to the masses and in the summer time it can get trashed out in a hurry. Same thing with Lytle Creek. Some people seem to think that those rivers are swimming pools. However there are places that can be right on the side of the road and you would never know about it or places that you have to take a dirt road a few miles to get to some interesting places..
Hope that helps to get you on to some fish.

Sean
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 AM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Here are some links with directions and descriptions of Frenchman's Flat.

San Diego Reader | Remote Piru Creek, in the Los Padres National Forest north of Los Angeles, offers a challenging wilderness experience.

Piru Creek - Frenchman's Flat Map & Info.

US 99 : Frenchman's Flat

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I have fished Frenchman's Flats. It's been a couple years. Last time I was there, there was a van full of poachers pulling out all the trout. I confronted them and they didn't seem to speak english. They also didn't seem to like my tone of voice. I had taken my bike up the road the mile and half or so to where the wild trout are and I hopped on that sucker and took off. Then I called Dept of fish and game. Not sure what came of it, but haven't been back since.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I fished Frenchman's Flat back in the early 80's. Heading downstream below Pyramid Lake, into the canyon, there were some huge Browns to be found. Today, one is taking their life into someone else's hands by going in there. Break-ins, confrontations and generally disagreeable types infest the area.

I head up to the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Tule River, just East of Springville for a great experience. Not very close, but I rarely see another human being up there. LA and the immediate area, are just too over populated.

My 2 cents...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I fished Frenchman's Flat back in the early 80's. Heading downstream below Pyramid Lake, into the canyon, there were some huge Browns to be found. Today, one is taking their life into someone else's hands by going in there. Break-ins, confrontations and generally disagreeable types infest the area.

I head up to the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Tule River, just East of Springville for a great experience. Not very close, but I rarely see another human being up there. LA and the immediate area, are just too over populated.

My 2 cents...

PT/TB
I'd never heard of the Tule. I'd love to see some pix. Why not just go up the 395 to hit the lower/upper owens?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

There are pics of the Tule on my site...

Best!!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/