The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM

951tightline is on a distinguished road
Default santa anna river!!!!

me and my brother took a drive up to the santa anna river and didnt do to great. we fished the 7 oaks spot it was probally 20 something degrees once you pull your line out of the water it instantly gets iced. i would fish a stretch and not get anything but once i started walking down to the next pool you could see the fish spook out. tryed close to all the flys in my box doing a dry/merger combo. once we didnt get anything we packed up and started home but once we got to the bottoms we saw some pull offs and stoped for a couple mins, theres some nice pools put you can tell people swim in them but thats where i caught the only fish, and it was nice. probally 10 to 12 inches. anyone have any tips, fly suggestions anything please let me know, i know theres nice fish in there and i would really like to catch some
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: santa anna river!!!!

When it's that cold, you really need to put the fly right in front of them. I'd opt for a double nymph set up under an indicator. Use a splitshot, if need be, to get the fly on the bottom.

Also, forget the early AM attempts. They will wait until the sun is striking the water before they get active at all.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
When it's that cold, you really need to put the fly right in front of them. I'd opt for a double nymph set up under an indicator. Use a splitshot, if need be, to get the fly on the bottom.

Also, forget the early AM attempts. They will wait until the sun is striking the water before they get active at all.
what type of indicator do you use? they all look a little too big and noticable. does it matter?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:48 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 951tightline View Post
what type of indicator do you use? they all look a little too big and noticable. does it matter?
I really like the small or medium 'thingamabobbers' as they cast well, have no issues with getting saturated, and are quickly adjustable.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 951tightline,

Since you don't have your location listed in your data it might be helpful if we knew where the Santa Anna River is located. I know a couple of Santa Anna rivers but I don't think they are the one you are talking about.

When you are moving and you spot fish scurrying away, that is golden. Just keep moving and noting where the fish are located along the river. Let the fish rest and then go back and catch some. I can't count the number of fish locations I have located motoring up or down a river and seeing fish get out of the way. I could count on the fish being in the same areas all season.

I have always felt that locating where the fish are holding is job one. Once you have a layout of a river where the fish are located the easy part is figuring out how to catch them.

Frank
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!
-Scott
Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Sorry for such a late picture post, but i totally forgot about them untill now.

The only fish of the day!
Click the image to open in full size.
My either 5 or 6x, can't remember what i got on. ALL ICED UP!
A pretty nice pool.