The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Warthog is on a distinguished road
Default directions

I'm pretty new to fly fishing and I'm wondering how to get to an area to fish in deep creek and lytle creek (i think that's spelled right) me and some family members went to deep creek from arrowhead rd down the pct i was the beginning of last year the bridge was out does anyone know if its still out?
i go fishing in lakes and would like to try streams for once. I don't talk in forums so this may sound odd the way its put and is there a spell checker somewhere other then seeing a red line under the words?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: directions

Warthog: I can't help with directions (I live in WY) but the forum doesn't have a spell checker so don't worry, lots of folks will fat finger the key board now and then while replying and I haven't heard of anyone saying anything bad about it. Main thing is keep your posts coming, keep asking questions, someone here will probably be able to provide answers.

Larry
Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 AM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

San Bernardino National Forest - Recreation, Deep Creek

I used to live in Arrowhead and then Running Springs. Hope this helps need anything else just ask and yes welcome to the site
Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 AM

thanks flyfish i thought about bowen ranch before but hear alot of people have there car broken into there (seen that on the site you gave) i used to see people at the dam but i would think that you would get a ticket for parking there i don't know the only time i seen fish i think it was deep creek it was up close to the arrowbear area didn't have a fishing rod with me just my bow that's a long way away from me live in victorville thanks again i will look at the sight some more to see if i missed something. so i think that's all i need to see about for now on deep creek

any one know about lytle creek? heard of a mid fork and a north fork anyone know where they stock and how to get at least near there? been there a couple of times didn't see anything but fingerlings around apple white camp ground
Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 AM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

The car vandalism doesnt surprise me I left the area over 13 years ago i live in northwest Washington now but even 12 or 13 years ago was tough not having people mess with stuff in the back country I know the fires were just brutal on travel conditions both for foot and vehicle and ive lost touch with everyone I fished with but ill see if I can find some info tomorrow and repost
Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

You can still get to Deep Creek but you will have to walk about a 1/4 mile to get to the old parking area. There was a small concrete overpass that had washed away. For those wanting to get to the PCT they usually park at the fork in the road and walk down to the parking area.
Yes there are still fish in Deep Creek. Caught my largest at around 11 inches or so. Went a few days after a rain and it was no longer a creek but a raging river!! Didnt catch anything but I will be back, so far its my favorite place to drown a fly.
Lytle Creek, seems like every time that I go there its always trashed out. Now that we have had a decent series of storms, I might give it another try after the water subsides. For the Middle fork, there is a road that turns off from the main road. You wind up going over a one lane bridge then on to a dirt road. I havent done much exploring up in that area but when time allows, I plan on fishing there.

Sean
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 PM

tree catcher do you have a map of the area you said? sorry its a bit confusing you were saying about an old parking area? and 1/4 mile from a fork is it just before you get to private prop or something like that? and thanks for the reply's.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

I have a map but its not on my puter, its the old paper style map Private property??? Never saw a sign like that on any of the roads that I took. They are all public roads, however the road is not maintained after a certain point.

Sean
Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 AM

there's some private prop that's called bowen ranch the link from flyfish says about it. the map that you have does it show where the creek goes to and the roads near it? is the map old or can you still get it? that would be much simpler then asking the directions and having someone type out a long post for it
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM

Sending you a PM on how to get there, Going from Bowen Ranch I think leads you to the clothing optional part. But you still run into a few nudes every now and then along the creek....Not fun when you are trying to cast over a male nudist at the waterfall into a huge pool