The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM

imdry is on a distinguished road
Default lake fishing techniques?

Hi All,

Ive been looking around for some good dry fly fishing techniques for lake fishing, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Im using floating line with dry flies, and floating solution. Being new to the sport, thats about all i know about my newly received set up but Im more than willing to provide any other info.

basically, Should I be working the shore line similar to using a spinner bait? or should I be casting into the middle of the lake for distance with a sinking line?

once the line is out, should i let it sit? Or do i need to jig the floy around on the water surface?

Thanks
D
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lake fishing techniques?

The reality is that you need to put the fly where the fish are. If that means throwing a dry near the shoreline or throwing a streamer at the middle of the lake with a sinking line, you will have to adapt to those conditions. Trout will be swimming where the primo water temperatures and food sources are.

This is why season stillwater fishers have two or three rods rigged up. Each rig will allow them to play the depth game efficiently.

As for dry flies, the action that you impart is based off the bug itself. You won't twitch a dead Calibaetis mayfly. It would be wise to twitch a hopper pattern if you throw it up against a bank. An ant that may have landed in the middle of a lake from being moved by a convection current can be twitched. Try experimenting. You will find some situations in which action on the fly will work and won't work.

If you want to read a good book on stillwater strategy, read Denny Rickards' Fly Fishing Stillwaters For Trophy Trout.

MP
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MP, if you want to really learn how to fish stillwaters, pick up Denny's books. Denny's lastest book "Stillwater Presentation" is fantastic.
Here is Denny's web site: www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fishing Stillwaters

Fly Fishing Internet Radio has an episode in their archives where they did an interview with Denny, it is well worth listening to. After listening to Denny speak you will see what I'm talking about and want to get his books.
Denny Rickards | Fly Fishing

Larry

Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM

dryflyin is on a distinguished road

The answer is yes. Or to re-phrase MoscaPescador's response, how you fish depends on where the fish are. In a lake, trout will vary their depth according to water temperature, oxygen levels, structure, and time of day. You need to find that depth, and your setup will depend on that.

If fish are cruising the shoreline, or reed beds, or other shallow waters, then dry flies on a floating line works great. Other times, trout will be doing a circuit, basically swimming in circles, and again, depending on their depth, you may or may not want to switch to nymphs or streamers. On hot days, or when the sun is directly overhead, fish often go deep. A sinking line can get down maybe 20 feet, depending on how patient you can be, and beyond that, flyfishing probably isn't going to be the most productive method.

If they are deep, fish will often hold near drop-offs. Being near both deep water and shallow water gives them access to the best of both worlds. If you can get up high enough, you can see these structures, and even the fish. Or if you can get a contour map of the bottom, you'll have an idea of where to target. I'd also strongly suggest you explore the inlets and outlets to the lake.

Another book I would suggest is Gary Lafontaine's Flyfishing the High Mountain Lakes. It's obviously targeting high alpine lakes, but there's alot in there about lake fishing in general. It's also an entertaining read regardless of whether you fish that particular type of water.