The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road
Default 2 rod fishing regulation

Someone asked me about the regulations for 2 rods here in California and I couldn't find a straight answer. You need a stamp to fish a second rod, that is clear. You cannot fish a second rod at all if the waters are artificial fly only. Now, does this mean that you can only have one rod with you? What if you have a second rod with you? Example: You are fishing your trusty 4 weight for dries and nymphs, but you lug around your 6 weight to strip a streamer. You are by yourself and you can only fish one rod at a time obviously. Is this scenario a violation, or would it only be a violation if you actively had both lines in the water?

Any experts out there?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: 2 rod fishing regulation

Hi DSFlyman,

I am far from an expert but here is my thoughts. The law is against fishing two rods at the same time. I don't believe it limits you to the number of rods you can have in possession. For instance, Bass fishers may have a dozen rods or more on the boat at one time. All rigged and ready to go. But they can only fish one rod. The Tag for a second rod is new to me. But I having fished California for several years.

Frank
Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

With what Frank says I have never been in a state that you couldnt carry all the rods you wanted, you just can only use one at a time in some situations.
As long as the fly/lure/bait on the other isnt in the water you are not fishing with it.
The river I trout fish here is a one rod only river and I always have a back up or two with me and have never had a word said to me by conservation agents about it. Now thats in Ar.
Bear
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Yeah these were my thoughts as well. I combed the CA regulations, but they say nothing of carrying more than one rod. I just hate to pass on information that is wrong and/or illegal.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I know what ya mean. I dont think its that most conservation people try to give us the run around, but I too have called about regualtions that are minor or just for a certian body of water and most of the people I talk to arent real clear about what is what, I think most of them arent sure themselves lol
Bear
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

Lets just say you can use two rods at the same time.How do you reel in two fish on two different rods at the same time.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

When you have a legal question like this it is best to go to the source. You can write to DFG and receive a written answer/interpretation from a game warden. Here is the address:

AskaWarden@dfg.ca.gov

I hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyafishionado View Post
When you have a legal question like this it is best to go to the source. You can write to DFG and receive a written answer/interpretation from a game warden. Here is the address:

AskaWarden@dfg.ca.gov

I hope this helps.
Thanks, that was the way to go - here is the response I got:

Paul: You are correct. As long as only one line is in the water at a time you may possess as many lines/rods as you want.

Warden Lorraine Doyle
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie z View Post
Lets just say you can use two rods at the same time.How do you reel in two fish on two different rods at the same time.
Stand on one reel while you reel in the other LOL