The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest California and Hawaii. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Nu2Cal is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone fished the Stanislaus recently?

I'm new to the area and I'm right next to the Stanislaus River. I was wondering if anyone has fished it lately. If so, what are the conditions like?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Mudboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone fished the Stanislaus recently?

Nu2Cal:

I recently moved to SoCal from Modesto and fished the Middle and South Forks of the Stanislaus over the past few years. This time of year the water flow is pretty high so conditions could be a little challenging depending on the snow melt; things usually settle down around mid-June. I had consistent luck on the Clark Fork as well as up near Kennedy Meadows. DGF will not be stocking the South Fork this year, so keep that in mind. You can check the DFG website for the stocking schedule at: California Department of Fish&Game Hatchery Fish Planting for Region 4 - Central. Iíve had good luck with Elk Hair Caddis and Black Ants.

Iím not that familiar with the North Fork. If you are into float-tubing or lake fishing, DGF stocks Pinecrest Lake and Iíve caught fish from the shore along the south side near the swimming beach using a soft hackle wet fly. The lake is pretty crowed with boater/swimmers in the summer, so early am is your best bet after Memorial Day. The inlet fishes well, but tends to be crowded with the Power Bait group. Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Good Luck

RB
Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks Mudboy. I'm gonna have to check out the Middle Branch for sure. Ever go for Smallies on the lower Stanislaus? Went on a float in a canoe the other day and thought I saw a few around. Not sure though. Thanks again.

Joe
Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Mudboy is on a distinguished road

Nu2Cal:

Last May I fished (with a guide) the lower Stanislaus from the confluence of the San Joaquin up to Caswell Memorial State Park. We caught both small and large mouth bass. You can probably access the river at the park as well, you would have to check.

There are fish all along the lower Stan from Goodwin Dam downstream through Oakdale and Riverbank, youíll just have to explore. Keep in mind that special restrictions apply on the lower Stanislaus, so be sure to check the DGF regulations. You will need a Bay-Delta Enhancement Stamp for all water below the Goodwin Dam. If you are looking for trout or steelhead, there was a good article in the December issue of Fly Fisherman on the area below Goodwin Dam. Iíve caught trout below Goodwin and itís only 30 minutes from Modesto which made for a nice midweek late afternoon get-away during the summer. One word of caution if you fish the area below Goodwin Dam is to watch out for poison oak and rattle snakes, that area from Goodwin Dam down to Knights Ferry is ideal habitat for both.

Good luck!

RB
Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Thanks again RB,

Being from MN, I have to get used to fishing in areas were rattle snakes can be present.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 AM

juggygales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Cal View Post
I'm new to the area and I'm right next to the Stanislaus River. I was wondering if anyone has fished it lately. If so, what are the conditions like?

Thanks,

Joe
caught standard 5 8-12".

Last edited by juggygales; 04-29-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: idiot
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 PM

juggygales is on a distinguished road

any news on the stan?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

This is an old post, but it's a good topic.

Bob Nakagawa at Sierra Anglers in Modesto is the best source in the region about the Stan.

He can be reached at 209-572-2212.

Dennis