The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Pacific

Pacific Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 PM

tjc is on a distinguished road
Alaska Penninsula Salmon

I am going to Alaska, Dog Salmon River, the last week of September. I am a trout flyfisher, but have not caught a salmon. I have fished for and caught steelhead. I have bought a 7 weight rod and reel so far. Is their any advice for someone like me? What kind of flies and other gear are needed? The fish I am after are Silver Salmon and Char.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Alaska Penninsula Salmon

I can't give you much advise, but good luck and tight lines
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

tjc: I have never fished the Dog Salmon River, but timing is everything when fishing in Alaska. I have fished for silvers on the Kenai and some of the streams along the Denali hwy. For patterns I would suggest you do a search for posts by HardyReels, he lives in Wasila and has posted several of his favorite patterns. You might also PM him to see if he has fished that far south. You might also check out this site for more information:
Alaska's Fly Fishing Network - Alaska Fly Fishing Forum and Website

Larry
Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tjc,

There are a bunch of Dog Salmon rivers in Alaska. I will assume that you are talking about the Dog Salmon river that feeds Ugashik river on the Alaska Peninsula. I have been down that way bear hunting and fishing but not the Dog Salmon River. If it is the Dog Salmon I am thinking about it doesn't get Kings or Silvers. I think most of the fish are Chum (Dog Salmon), Pinks and Dollies.

This is a remote area and I am assuming you are using a guide. If you are using a guide he will be your best source of information about what to bring. Chums Salmon may be the hardest fighting Salmon available. A ten pound Chum will give you a heck of a fight. Your 7wt will work but may be on the light side. I used an 8wt for all Salmon except King Salmon. I suspect that your guide will take you to different rivers in the area so you may run into some other Salmon. That is why your guide is the best place to get information.

If you are there at the right time I think you will be fishing for Chum Salmon. I don't know of any specific flies for Chum. The link that Larry gave you may be a very good source.